27

February 24th, 2020

February 24th, 2020

"I'm so happy for you Emmi. NYU is your dream school!." I took a break from unpacking and I was on facetime with Emmi as I stood in the kitchen making Ryan a chicken breast for a salad. Ryan is on his way back from his parents. I stayed back to try and finish unpacking. "Girl I've been so anxious waiting. I got the email yesterday and I opened it by accident thinking it was something else. You heard from UC Berkley or Stanford?" I shook my head when in fact I did hear from both. I got accepted but I don't know what I want to do. I know my family, friends and Ryan will support me with whatever I choose to do but I don't know if I'm ready to leave home yet.

"What's wrong friend? You seem a little down. And don't say nothing. Your my best friend I know you too well. Your face says it all." I rolled my eyes shaking my head. "A lot is going on but I think I can handle it."

"Okay boo we can talk about it later." The alarm chirping caused me to look and back and see Ryan walking in with Rosie and Carter standing at the door.

"Hey babe." He kissed my forehead and looked over towards my phone and he nodded his head. "Hey Em. Where's my boy?" She rolled her eyes, flipped the camera and he was knocked out cold. "He's been like this for two hours but not for much longer." She dropped her phone and all you heard was a loud smack and Jacobe screamed. We both laughed as I heard him get up and Emmi yelped and quickly hung up the phone.

"Here you go." I sat his bowl in front of him as I sat on the bench next to him and pulled my phone out. "You don't have to sit here with me babe I know you have some things to finish unpacking." I shook my head leaning into his side. "Nope I want to sit under my man." I can feel how tense his side is and his eyes were red so whatever happened at his parents made him upset and he doesn't want to talk so I won't pressure him.

"My mom isn't dead...that was her at the diner." I sat up and put my hand over my mouth in complete shock. "I confronted my dad and he gave me an explanation but I don't know. I still feel a little off."

"How did that make you feel? Finding out about your mom." He leaned back pinching the bridge of his nose. "I felt so overwhelmed and that everything I went through in my adolescent life could've been avoided."

I nodded my head putting my chin on my fist. "Did she tell you why she left?"

"She was on drugs, in and out of jail, she was a mess." I dropped his hand and I reached over and wrapped my arms around him. He leaned his head into my neck and sighed deeply. "It was probably for the best babe. You still turned out to be an amazing, sweet and loving person so you still came out on top. Let the past be the past and let your mom in. Don't shut her out. God is giving you an opportunity to get to have your mom when you thought this whole time she wasn't alive. Take the opportunity and get to know her, and let her get to know you."

He looked up at me and nodded his head pecking my lips softly. "You're so wise." I chuckled softly unwrapping my arms from around his torso and stood up. "Now I'm going to finish up my closet." I clapped my hands together and walked towards the steps. "I hate to see you go but I love to watch you leave."