34

June 7th,2020

June 7th,2020

"Okay okay we have to go here they have the best Mexican food." I pulled Emmi and Kayla towards a street vendor that is near campus. I came here with-" I stopped myself from talking and they both looked at me. "With who?"

I clenched my teeth together and mumbled. "Q." Kayla popped my arm. "Kayla!"

Emmi and Kayla both shook their heads. "Kelis! What are you doing hanging with him? And Q is out here?"

"He was visiting schools in California and he asked if we could hang and I made sure he knew it was just as friends." I walked up to the cart and the overwhelming smell of onions caused me to immediately drop my bags. I ran to the closest trash can and started vomiting. My sister and best friend ran over to hold my hair out of the way.

"Kelis when is the last time you had your cycle?" Kayla handed me a napkin with water on it. "February...at the beginning of February...why?" I wiped my mouth off as Emmi and Kayla looked at each other then at me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 8th, 2020

Kelis dorm room || Stanford, CA

After my 8 AM class my sister and best friend came to my dorm room so we can talk about yesterday topic some more.

"So you're telling me you haven't had a cycle since early February!?" Kayla and Emmi both stared at me confused. I shook my head racking a hand full of hair back. "No I always get them towards the end of the month and I just haven't had one. It could be stress or just a drastic change in my schedule." I let out a nervous chuckle.

My sister shook her head. "You've never had a late cycle in your life. Denial. I bought these on my way over here." She pulled out a bag full of pregnancy test. "Kayla I am not taking those." I stood up but Emmi caught me by my hand. "Better safe than sorry." I shrugged my shoulders and took the bag to the bathroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kelis!" My sister called from the bathroom. "No bring them out here." My sister came out and I looked down at the bag. I took five different brands of pregnancy test and all of them were positive. I put my face in my hands and started hysterically crying.

Kayla and Emmi wrapped there arms around me. "I can't have a kid right now. I just started law school. Moved across the country away from my family." I started crying again thinking about how everything is going to change for me from here on out.

"You'll get through this Kelis. You have the mindset and the determination to finish what you started and I know a kid is a huge responsibility you were willing to take on before you can do it again." Kayla gave me a soft smile.

I nodded my head wiping my tears with a tissue Emmi had for me. "Kayla is absolutely right. You will never be alone. It takes a village to raise a child." I smiled at both of them and we all hugged each other. "Now let's get the tea...weren't you on BC?"

"Yeah I am but I didn't pickup my new prescription. I was really busy with the retreat and just forgot and you know that last week is just water pills. Oh my goodness...Ryan and I did it only one time after I didn't have anymore and that was the day we broke up." I put my hand on my forehead closing my eyes to keep from crying.

"You have to tell him Kelis. At least let him be there for you and the baby. You don't have to get back together." Emmi rubbed small circles on my back. "I know I know."

Kayla clapped her hands together standing up. "On a brighter note let's do this birds nest I mean your hair." We all laughed as we continue to enjoy each other's company. "Yes I have an appointment later today so please let's start you know you take a long time."

Kayla nudged me as we laughed. "It won't be funny when it's you with back pains trying to do hair and you will be doing my hair. In tribal braids."

I rolled my eyes as I moved to the chair she had set up. "I think you only taught me how to braid so I can do your hair."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright Ms. Jergens you are pregnant and according to the conception date your about 5 weeks. So we're going to check on the pea size bundle of joy." I nodded my head as I laid back on the exam table. I sighed deeply as I lifted my shirt and the cold gel hit my stomach.

She turned on the screen and placed the wand on my stomach moving it around. After a few moments of awkward silence the doctor spoke up. "Your a twin right?"

"Yes. Fraternal. I have a twin brother...why'd you ask?"

"It isn't not uncommon for a twin to have a set of twins because of genetics. Now if you have a boy and a girl then that will be really unique." She started talking to me about the baby or babies and I started to zone out just thinking.

I'm pregnant with my ex boyfriends baby or babies while in an Ivy League law school. I'm a walking contradiction. The OBGYN wiped the gel off my stomach and gave me some papers for vitamins and different things about regular and twin pregnancy.

She walked out and let me get dressed. I looked in the mirror and turned sideways noticing I had a bump.

 I looked in the mirror and turned sideways noticing I had a bump

I was in completely denial my bump is huge. I just thought I was gaining weight from stress eating. All this time I was pregnant. I can't believe I got myself in this predicament again. I walked out of the exam room and made my second appointment. I walked out to my car. Kayla and Emmi were waiting for me. "So what's the news?"

"I'm pregnant...and it maybe twins." Their eyes grew in size as they both started smiling and I started crying again. "Awww Kelis babe you don't have to cry."

"Im so torn. I want to be excited but I'm disappointed in myself and I'm nervous. What if I have to be a single mother? What if Ryan wants nothing to do with us?" Emmi got out and sat in the back with me taking my hands in hers. "Then you'll be a damn good single mother with the help of everyone we told you this already. You can be nervous and excited but not disappointed. This is apart of life and it's okay."

"I just want to go lay down." They both nodded and Kayla started driving back to campus. I sat with my head on Emmi's shoulders biting my lip trying not to lose my sanity.

 I sat with my head on Emmi's shoulders biting my lip trying not to lose my sanity