Present - Jungkook & Seokjin

Life wasn't fair.

Or maybe he was just the creator of his own misery.

...

It had been days.

Of course he had, in all honesty, a perfectly valid excuse for not replying. That he didn't know exactly what to say - actually no, that was a lie. He knew precisely what he wanted to say, he just had no idea how to go about actually saying it.

Which was why as one day passed into another, it became easier and easier to simply just ignore it. To say that he would face it tomorrow and put it out of his mind.

Only tomorrow never came and at this rate it was never going to.

...

"Alpha?" Everything inside of him hated this, feeling so weak and confused and lost. Ordinarily he would go to Yoongi, would seek out the omega's guidance in place of what nature dictated. Or, when that didn't quell the distinct need for an alpha, he would seek out Namjoon. It wasn't like their advice was ever all that far off from one another's. Sometimes he was certain Namjoon would just simply ask Yoongi without him knowing and repeat everything he said.

But his instincts were going wild with the knowledge that his soul was bonded with this particular alpha, and absolutely nothing else would compare. He desperately needed Jungkook's guidance, for him to tell him what he should do. That he didn't know the entire situation made it difficult, but that was a particularly dangerous bridge that they would have to find their way across later.

"What is it little one?" Early morning sunshine poured in through the open curtains, basking them in the bright light. A tray with their half eaten breakfast sat before them, sounds of the busy hospital playing from just beyond the tightly closed door. He would never get used to it, this feeling of isolation while the world continued on just beyond their little space.

"How are you feeling?" That the good days had so quickly come to out number the bad seemed like some kind of unexpected miracle. That his alpha should be awake and alert and aware, without the haze of heavy medication clouding his senses was a blessing he hadn't known he'd needed so badly.

"Jinnie, you asked me that ten minutes ago." And ten minutes before that. A repeating cycle that wasn't entirely unusual, but normally it didn't happen quite that frequently.

"Sorry." His nerves were kicking up. Every time he looked at his phone he would just see the reply and the one that had come after, and he would quickly shut right back down.

"Come here." Holding out his hand, he waited for the omega to push himself upwards, closing the space between the chair he had claimed as his own and the bed, perching upon the edge and instantly moving to tangle their fingers together. "Tell me what's bothering you."

"I think I might have made a mistake." His scent turned slightly sour at the words, at the thought, unable to keep the bitterness from over coming the sweet vanilla.

"Sweetheart, whatever it is, it's probably not as bad as you think."

"Oh, it's exactly as bad as I think. Worse, actually. Totally life ruining."

"Anyone ever tell you you're kind of over dramatic?"

"Every single day of my life." Yoongi had often told him to stop being so dramatic, because he couldn't even do ordinary things without being extra and over the top. "But this is pretty bad. That's why I need you, alpha. I don't know what to do."

"I've got your back, babe."

"... Okay, I'm gonna be real honest. I wasn't going to tell you the whole truth because it's real fucked up."