Chapter 57

Kylo Ren was drawing near to the monastery.

"Hey kid," his father's voice spoke.

He stopped dead in his tracks, feeling his anger stir as he looked across to see Han Solo stood watching him.

For a moment they just stared at each other.

"I miss you son," Han said softly.

"You're just a memory."

"Come home, we miss you."

"Leia's dead...you're dead. There is no one left to miss me."

Han drew closer, "But there could be."

His rage was rising, as thoughts of his real father's death hit him, "I made my decision a long time ago: I doubted if I had the strength to free myself of the pain but I did. I killed you once...without hesitation."

He ignited his lightsaber straight through his father's chest, the uncertain red light bouncing between them.

Han flinched and placed his hand on his son's face, before breaking into a million sparks of light that drifted upwards.

Now alone Kylo felt overwhelmed by fury. Raising his lightsaber he split a nearby rock in two, letting out a frenzied scream.

"This place is just trying to mess with your mind," his uncle said.

Kylo spun, throwing his saber at Luke. It sailed straight through him and imbedded into the rock face behind.

"It doesn't work that way here," Luke said as Kylo used the force to draw his lightsaber back into his hand.

"Another test?" Kylo yelled stepping closer.

"I'm no test," he replied tiredly, "I am just hoping that you'll see sense, my father was too...a vain hope I imagine."

"I will be the most powerful being in this galaxy," he hissed.

"More power won't change anything."

A long silence followed.

"I'm sorry, Ben," Luke said, "My biggest regret is allowing a fleeting moment of fear to push you onto this dark path."

"I'd made my decision long before that, you imagine yourself more important than you are."

"...I wish that were true."

Kylo paused.

"I forgive you," Luke said.

"Now I know that you aren't real."

Luke chuckled humourlessly, "What a fine picture you have of me in your head."

"Nothing is going to stop me. I will not allow any ghost from the past or voice in my head get in my way," he said approaching the long steps into the monastery.

"...Good bye...Ben."