Chapter 71

After the Resistance had announced their victory across the galaxy they returned to the base on Ajan Kloss.

With the assurance of the destruction of the First Orders main fleet, the last oppressed systems rose up and snuffed out the last remnants.

On Bespin, a Star Destroyer fell behind the floating Cloud City, leaving streams of dust and debris in its wake.

Across the desert of Jakku, a group of scavengers saw another crash into the ground behind the wreckage of the old imperial vessel Rey used to rove through. A shockwave of sand rose up and travelled all the way to the Niima Outpost.

In a dense forest on Kashyyyk, a group of wookiees were walking away from a decimated First Order training base. It burnt behind them, causing a long trail of black smoke to rise above it. They were surrounded by hundreds of children in colour coded First Order jumpsuits. At the head of the procession a wookiee was carrying a small Mirialan girl in his arms.

Victory echoed from planet to planet and system to system.

By the time night fell on Ajan Kloss the First Order was gone.

Fires were lit around their main camp; their happy, beaming faces warmed by the gentle firelight as people sat in groups on the jungle floor or wondered from place to place.

Rey stood a little away watching as Beaumont recounted everyone with a tale. Wrobie leant back against Colonel D'Arcy as Connix asked him a question.

To the side Wedge, Lando and Jannah were sat on a fallen tree trunk as Aftab passed cups around the circle.

Zorii was perched on a crate behind them, the visor of her helmet lowered to reveal bright blue eyes. Babu and D-O were beside her engaged in their own conversation.

Kyra and the other children were a little away from the main base lying on the ground to stargaze.

In another spot a group were stoking their fire with more wood. Rose and Finn had their arms around each other. Chewie was sat next to Maz who was telling her own story. Along from them C-3P0 and R2-D2 were listening, the former making loud exclamations of concern as Maz got to the interesting and therefore dangerous parts of her adventure.

Poe was stood behind Finn as BB-8 rolled towards him, swivelling his head in Rey's direction. He turned and smiled, gesturing for her to join them.

She did, taking the cup he offered. Smelling it first, she took a small sip.

"Aftab has been brewing this stuff for years," Poe said.

Rey cleared her throat as warmth spread through her body.

He smirked, "I think he mixes it with engine oil."

"That I can easily believe."

"So..." Poe said sighing contentedly, "this is what freedom feels like."

Rey studied the stars above her and nodded.

"What do we do now?" he asked.

She looked at him, "I think I'm going to start a new Jedi academy."

"Noble...very noble," he said draining his cup.

"What about you?"

"I've been fighting for the Resistance for so long I don't really know. Would you recommend scavenging?"

Laughing she shook her head, "I don't think the monotony would suit you."

"True. Do you think you might need a pilot for this lofty academy? I've got an extremely tall co-pilot; an engineer extraordinaire; and one of the best turret shooters this side of the Kessel Run."

BB-8 bleeped loudly beneath them.

Poe grinned, "And the greatest astromech in the galaxy."

Rey's smile broadened, "They sound perfect."

The fire crackled as they continued their celebrations and the night slipped into the early morning.