The Deadly Rave

The next day, I found out that Scott had offered our help to Derek as long as we were going to capture Jackson, not kill him. "What's he doing here?" Scott asked Derek as we stood in the animal clinic. Scott had told us to meet him here. Turned out his boss was actually in on the whole werewolf thing. But he wasn't one of us. Great. "I need him." Derek replied, gesturing to Isaac with his head. "I don't trust him." Scott growled from the other side of the counter that I was sitting on. "Yeah, well, he doesn't trust you either." Isaac growled before glaring over at me. "Evie doesn't trust him either. She's still made about him shredding her favorite leather pants." I growled, returning his glare. "You know what? And Derek really doesn't care. Now where's the vet? Is he gonna help us or not?" Derek asked, annoyed by our childish attitudes. "That depends." Deaton said as he came out from the back room. "Your friend, Jackson. Are we planning to kill him or save him?" the older man asked. "Kill him." Derek said at the same time that Scott said, "Save him." Scott shot Derek a warning look to which he rolled his eyes in a very exaggerated way. "Save him." Scott insisted. Deaton nodded before leading us into the back room.

"Watch what you touch." Derek warned Isaac who was touching pretty much everything back here. "So, what are you? Some kind of witch?" Isaac asked Deaton as he shoved his hands in his jacket pockets. "No, I'm a veterinarian. Unfortunately, I don't see anything here that's going to be an effective defense against a paralytic toxin." Deaton said as he pulled out a box of vials and examined them. "We're open to suggestions." Derek said. "What about an effective offense?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. "We already tried. I nearly took its head off. And Argent emptied an entire clip into it. The thing just gets back up." Derek replied, shaking his head. "Has it shown any weaknesses?" Deaton asked us. "Well, one... it can't swim." I said, remembering that night in the pool. "Does that go for Jackson as well?" Deaton asked us. "No. He's the captain of the swim team." Scott told him. "Essentially, you're trying to catch two people. A puppet..." Deaton started, holding up a coin. "And a puppeteer. One killed the husband, but the other had to take care of the wife. Do we know why?" Deaton asked. I remembered hearing about two more killings. So now that made Isaac's dad, the husband, the wife, and the mechanic.

"I don't think Jackson could do it. His mother died pregnant too, and she was maybe murdered. I think he couldn't let the same thing happen to someone else." Scott pointed out. "How do you know it's not part of the rules? The kanima kills murderers. If Jackson kills the wife, then the baby dies too." Isaac suggested with a shrug. "Does that mean your father was a murderer?" I growled, annoyed by his presence. "Wouldn't surprise me if he was." Isaac replied, ignoring my tone. "Hold on. The book says they're bonded, right?" Deaton spoke up, catching our attention. "What if the fear of water isn't coming from Jackson, but from the person controlling him? What if something that affects the kanima also affects its master?" Deaton asked as he set down the coin and poured some sparkly black dust around it. "Meaning what?" Isaac asked. "Meaning we can catch them. Both of them." Scott said, nodding as he understood.

Scott had the idea that Jackson was going to show up at this secret show. I guess he followed him and saw him in the ticket line? I don't know. But now we had to figure out how to get in. I guess Isaac had managed to get tickets by beating the shit out of someone – tickets for him and Erica, that is. So we were stuck sneaking in. "Ketamine?" I asked as we sat in the back room of the animal clinic with Deaton later that afternoon. "It's the same stuff we use on the dogs, just a higher dosage. If you can get close enough to Jackson, it should slow him down enough to buy you some time." He said before turning to Stiles. "This is some of what you'll use to create the barrier. This part is for you, Stiles. Only you." Deaton told him, showing him the black, shiny dust from earlier. "Uh, that sounds like a lot of pressure. Can we maybe find a slightly less pressure-filled task for me?" Stiles asked him, suddenly nervous. "It's from the Mountain Ash Tree, which is believed by many cultures to protect against the supernatural. This office is lined with ashwood, making it difficult for someone like Scott and Evie to cause me any trouble." Deaton said, gesturing to me and my brother.