Chapter 39: Conflicted

Len's POV:

As promised, Emi sat with Miku and at lunch every day that week. We had one week left until the dance and I was trying to gather my courage to ask Miku to go with me. She of course already assumed we were going together, but I wanted to make it clear that I wanted to be more than friends. Those stupid quizzes weren't any help and they just made me more nervous. Leave it to the internet to screw everything up!

"Oops I forgot my water, I'll be right back!" Miku cried, running out of the cafeteria. 

Emi smiled at me and began eating her lunch. "Are you going to ask her?" She inquired.

"H...huh?" I blinked.

"Miku. To the dance. Are you going to ask her?" Emi clarified.

"Uh...what do you mean?" My brain turned off for a minute.

"Oh sorry. My mom said its creepy when I do that. I guess I just have really good intuition, but sometimes I pretend I'm psychic." Emi laughed. After this past week she had lowered her guard and was no longer shy around Miku and I. 

"Anyway. I know you like her...but don't be so nervous! You guys have been friends forever so it's not going to ruin your relationship. It might even strengthen it." Emi' eyes glinted. How does she know so much about this kind of stuff? Better yet, how does she know so much about ME?

"Intuition." She answered my thoughts.

Now I'm really freaked out.

Miku came running back and sat down. "Intuition what?" She asked.

Emi smiled shyly. "I just have really good intuition and I scared Len."

"No you didn't!" I cried.

Miku laughed. "Well it's Friday! Tomorrow is our free day!"

Emi looked at me significantly and motioned towards Miku with her eyes.

"Uh...Hey Miku. After school I have something I want to ask you." I mumbled.

Miku's eyes got clouded but she smiled a little. "Okay."

Emi smiled brightly at us and took a huge bite of her usual sandwich.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Miku and I walked to the park after saying goodbye to Emi. Miku had invited her to come along but she had smiled and said she had things to do at home. Then she winked at me a ran off.

"So you wanted to ask me something?" Miku asked.

"Uh yeah...well remember when you were at the hospital?"

"No. I don't remember ever going to the hospital." Miku smirked at me. "Of course I do."

"Well...remember when you woke up and..."

Miku squirmed. "Mhm..."

"Well...I think I kinda fell in love with you." I laughed and rubbed the back of my head.

Miku's face went blank.

"So do you maybe want to go to the dance with me as a date?" I asked. My heart was pounding so loud I wondered if she could hear it.

"I...don't know." Miku whispered.

"What do you mean?"

"I...I just really like having friends. And I really like having you as my friend but...I just don't know Len." She sighed.

"Oh. Okay." I said.

"Um...I need to go home." Miku waved shyly and ran off.

I flopped down onto the grass. I am such an IDIOT. Why did I listen to Emi? She couldn't know how Miku feels.