【Chapter 12.3】

"𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚒𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚞𝚙 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚎𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚗'𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚒𝚝."– 𝙳𝚛. 𝚁𝚘𝚋𝚎𝚛𝚝 𝙰𝚗𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚗𝚢

【Chapter 12.3】

C H A S E

"Hey, Dev," I reply coolly.

She's about to say something but stops before she gets it out. Then she kicks her foot out and places her hand on her hip and cocks her head to the side.

"Are you looking at fucking porn Chase." She narrows her eyes at me. My cheeks involuntarily flame bright red even though I'm innocent of the accusation.

"No!" Even I don't believe me. This time I run my hands down my face trying to cool off my heated cheeks.

I hear Dev's laughter before I look up and catch her tossing her heels to the side of my bed as she makes her way to sit beside me.

"I'm kidding. Sort of." Her smug grin is as big as a Cheshire's cat and I'm annoyed.

"You're a smartass," I argue with no bite to it. Because Dev giving me shit was time spent with my sister I've never thought I'd have again. It was time spent well.

"No dumbasses over here." She replies flippantly as her head falls back on the bed. She stares at my ceiling where we stuck glow in the dark stars to it when we were five. Mom and Dad had let us decorate any way we wanted, and I had wanted stars.

Dev put them in time random spots, but I realized last year it wasn't. It was a mini replica of the milky way from our house's view. She had used the telescope Mom had gotten her and had planned out the placement of the stars and I didn't even know. I thought when she was telling me where to place them they were just random.

I was wrong. Dev had always been smart. But she had always been giving too. I just never saw it.

I lean back on my bed so were side by side, shoulder to shoulder, and look over at her. Her eyes are closed and she's breathing slow.

"Hey Mom and Dad, asked if we could help out with dinner tonight. Wanna try a recipe with me?" I bargain hoping to try something new. Her lips pull up into the softest grin, but her eyes are still closed. I watch her.

"Ha. Are you and Mom trying to steal Noah's recipes for dinners now too? Like mother like son. Recipe thief." She accuses softly looking at me as she turns her head. Her eyes are the same color as mine and it's a stark reminder that she and I will always have each other. She will always have me. I don't say that though. I'm not giving her my words anymore. But I'll give her actions.

"They're not that bad. Plus, if Mom keeps baking like this I never want her to stop thieving from Noah." I laugh.

And then it hits me like a fucking brick. All the joking about Noah, and Mom and recipes and Pinterest, and baked goods. They're doing it for Dev. They're talking about food and cooking and baking and making it fun. They're normalizing her exposure to food without pressuring her or making her feel guilty.

They're doing it effortlessly.

All for her.

I would too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Falcon, Nash, and Jacob and I headed for lunch together. I had driven into school this morning with them because Dev still had more promos to do. I was pretty sure she had a photoshoot too, but I hadn't had a chance to speak with her because she was so busy this morning and left the house before I had woken up. We made dinner last night together and spent the rest of the day goofing off.