38

some trigger warnings

ᴸᵒᵒᵏ ᵃᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ᵍᵒᴵ ʲᵘˢᵗ ᵃᵈᵒʳᵉ ʸᵒᵘᴵ ʷⁱˢʰ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᴵ ᵏⁿᵉʷᵂʰᵃᵗ ᵐᵃᵏᵉˢ ʸᵒᵘ ᵗʰⁱⁿᵏ ᴵ'ᵐ ˢᵒ ˢᵖᵉᶜⁱᵃˡ

ᴸᵒᵒᵏ ᵃᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ᵍᵒ
ᴵ ʲᵘˢᵗ ᵃᵈᵒʳᵉ ʸᵒᵘ
ᴵ ʷⁱˢʰ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᴵ ᵏⁿᵉʷ
ᵂʰᵃᵗ ᵐᵃᵏᵉˢ ʸᵒᵘ ᵗʰⁱⁿᵏ ᴵ'ᵐ ˢᵒ ˢᵖᵉᶜⁱᵃˡ

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

It was different seeing Sam like this. The last time they'd seen each other, she'd practically been shading the man as soon as she saw him, still on her angered high of not being able to protect James.

He seemed like he'd changed. In a good way or bad way, she couldn't tell and would have to wait to find out. He was her best friend - brother even. But even family can grow apart until they eventually leave one another.

It was silent this time. No scrutinizing gazes words or gazes directed towards one another, just silence. Something that was used against you. His eyes weren't narrowed or wide. Just like they usually were on a normal day.

Y/N bit her lip slightly as she approached him, arms wrapped around her waist to give herself a hug. Of course, it wouldn't be the same. He probably hated her guts! Maybe his silence was just a facade to see how long it would take for her to crack and then he'd–

''You always overthink things,'' he said, yanking her by the woman's arm and pulling her into a hug. A surprised noise from her was muffled in his shoulders, though the embrace made her got slack in his arms.

''Thought you'd hate me,'' she chuckled pathetically, wrapping her arms around him as well. ''I wouldn't be surprised if you did, you know,'' she said that last a bit lower than the rest.

Sam sighed, one hand resting on the back of her head, rubbing at her scalp. ''There's no way I could ever hate you. I've been with you through thick and thin,'' he said, pulling her back from him to stare at the woman he, in a way, raised.

''Yeah, sometimes you're a brat and I want to hit you over the head with pan Rapunzel style, but you're still my little sister,'' he told her. ''So don't go around saying stupid shit like that again,'' he said, ruffling her hair.

Y/N's laugh came out a bit cracked as she wiped away a few lonely tears. ''Don't want to go too soft on me, do ya Wilson?" she teased, punching him in the arm shoulder. ''You hurt my feelings.''

Sam rolled his eyes. ''Whatever,'' he grumbled, but the adoring look that only someone who cared for you with all their heart could give said otherwise. ''But I meant what I said,'' he scowled. 

Y/N nodded, the small smile still on her face anyway. Not many knew, but Sam was someone that she looked up to, just like any younger sibling would do at one point in their lives.

''I know.''

══ ⋆★⋆ ══

There was a new girl in the crowd of veterans. He always recognized her as that one girl no one really talked to but respected. She always left when he tried to talk to her.