21

We were standing at the front door, Jimin's hand poised over the door ready to knock.

"You can do this." I try to say comfortingly. My hand reaches over and takes Jimin's free hand. He takes a deep breath and knocks on the door. His fist making a heavy thump noise against the solid wood. A few minutes later the door opens and Jimin's dad peeks through.

"Jimin? My son, is that you?" Jimin nods and the two men embrace each other into a hug. Both of them crying softly. I stand there, watching the tear-soaked reunion. Reminding me of my reunion with Jimin, except it was shorter and with fewer tears.

We were now sitting on the couch, enjoying a hot cup of tea. Jimin's father poured the last cup and sat down in his armchair.

"My boy Jimin. I thought I would never see you again." His father beams brightly down on his son. "And y/n. My dear girl, you both have grown so much. Now, what brings you two here?"

"Well, we want to know what this key is for." Jimin takes the key out from around his neck and hands it to his father. His father smiles and takes the key.

"My dearest Jimin. This is a key to one of our greatest family heirlooms." His father gets up and leads us down to the basement. There he rummages around in a box, trying to find something. He comes out of the box a few seconds later, finally finding the object he was looking for.

"This is home to one of the greatest heirlooms in the Park family. Grandmother always knew something was up with your mother, so she refused to allow her to have it. I soon discovered why grandmother kept. She was waiting for Jimin to hand this down in the family." His father was holding a small gold box. Decorated with dainty vines and flowers, with silver butterflies. He hands the small box over to Jimin and he takes it gingerly.

"Don't open yet my dear son. Please wait until the car. Can you do that for your old man?" Jimin nods and looks down at the box.

"Of course father." He promises, making his dad smile.

"Thank my son. Would you two like to stay for some lunch?" He offers, and I look over at Jimin, raising an eyebrow and he nods.

"Yeah, we would love to stay," I say and we all head back up the stairs to the main level.

"So what brings you two here at this time. Why now?" Jimin's father asks, setting down his now finished tea.

"Well Jimin and I actually reunited about a month ago, I've been trying to help him regain parts of his memory he lost," I explain, taking a sip of my tea. His father sighs in disappointment.

"I knew she would do everything to keep you guys apart. I just didn't think it would work for long." His eyes wander to a photo over on the mantle. It was an old photo of me and Jimin, our middle school graduation photos. I got up and walked over to the photo. My hand reaches out and carefully picks it up.

"Why didn't she like me?" I question, looking down at my younger self.

"Because you took away her boy. You two were so close she was worried that Jimin would leave her for you." He explains and Jimin takes the picture from me.

"Why was she so overprotective of me, do you know?" Jimin asks and his father frowns.

"After you were born, your mother got pregnant again. You were too young to know it, just about a year old. Anyways, she lost the baby after a few months. Left her devasted, ever since then she didn't want anything to happen to you. So many things changed after that." Jimin's eyes go wide and he drops the photo, my hands fumbling to catch it.

"I could have been a brother?" He mutters out in disbelief.

"Yes, maybe if nothing went wrong then maybe your life could have been better, but nothing prepared us for what you did one day." I quickly put the photo back and guided both Jimin and myself back to the couch to sit.

"What do you mean?" I inquired, curious to know more.

"Well, it was the day we left. The day of the car accident. It was never an accident." His father takes a deep breath before continuing. "Jimin was watching you from the car, his mother and I were fighting in the front seat. Then, I don't know why but he opened the car door and jumped out. A car nearly ran him over. That's how you lost your memory, my dear boy." Jimin falls back into the cushions, a look of anguish on his face.

"Oh god. It's all coming back to me." He says in a quiet tone, his eyes glazing over. "That day in the car. I couldn't handle it. Just everything was too much, mother yelling at me not to cry, the constant conflict between the two of you. Leaving y/n. You guys fighting in the car as we left the only place I had ever known was too much and all I wanted to do was be with y/n. So I jumped." I glance over at his father who looked down at his lap in disappointment.

"It was all my fault." He looks over at Jimin, a stray tear falling down his cheek. "I'm so sorry Jimin, I failed you. Never once did I think how all of our fightings must have affected you. I knew I should have tried to leave with you."

"No father, I was the one who opened that door. It was my feet who pushed me out of that seat. My hands that unbuckled my seatbelt. That was my choice. And I don't think I regret it." Both Jimin's father and I look at disbelief.

"You don't regret losing your memory?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"No. Because how could I have lived all those years, knowing you were still out there waiting for me."