Nine

Max

"So, where are we going?" I glanced back at Demi with a smirk causing her to groan and roll her eyes. I turned my attention back to the suitcase laid out on the bed in front of me.

"It's a surprise."

"I hate surprises" I chuckled as Demi groaned again.

"Well, you'll love this one. I promise" she narrowed her eyes at me as I sent her a smirk and a wink.

"I better or you're in for it" as I went to reply, Ayla whined from where she lay in her bassinet. "Oh, Peanut" I smiled as Demi lifted Ayla from the bassinet and pressed a kiss to the top of her head, cradling her against her chest. "I think we need a diaper change, Baby Girl, because you stink" I lightly chuckled as Demi cooed down at Ayla. "I'm going to go and change her. I'll be back in a second to give you a hand" I nodded and we shared a peck before she disappeared from the room. As soon as she had disappeared with Ayla, I turned to my bedside table and rummaged around in it until I found the little velvet box. I opened it briefly and smiled down at it, my heart, for a moment, pounding rapidly against my chest. I hope she says yes. I slipped the ring into the suitcase, making sure it was secure and hidden. I looked over at the door a moment later as Demi stepped back in with a fresh and clean Ayla.

"Hi, Peanut" I took her from Demi and smiled as she instantly settled against my chest. "Did we have a good nap, Baby?" I tapped my finger lightly against her nose causing her lips to twitch at the corners. "It's not going to be long before you're smiling so big" she cooed back.

"I can't believe how quickly she's growing."

"She's always going to be our little peanut though" Demi gave me a look that read 'duh.'

"Of course she is. You want any help packing?"

"No, I think I'm finished" I just smiled down at Ayla.

"You packed for me?" I nodded up at her with a smirk.

"Yes, I did and you are not peeking" I glanced down at Ayla who was staring up at me, her hand wrapped tightly around my index finger.

"I can't believe we've been together a year tomorrow" I looked back up at Demi with a wide smile.

"The best year of my life" I smiled wider as Demi's cheeks blushed. "I've never fallen in love with someone so hard. You've given me this little peanut which has made me love you so much more."

"Ditto" I leant down to brush my lips against her forehead.

"So, what do you want to do before we drop this little peanut off at your parents?"

"Why don't we look at booking flights to New Jersey?" she pressed a kiss to Ayla's temple. "We haven't seen your parents since Ayla was in the NICU. I'm sure they'd love to see her" I nodded with a smile. We're constantly on FaceTime with my parents but it isn't the same as seeing them in person. Demi's parents have seen Ayla nearly once a week, my parents have only seen her once and they didn't even get to hold her.

"Yeah, that doesn't sound like a bad idea."

"I start my tour mid-April, so we could look at booking it before then. I'm sure I can move some stuff around if I need too" I nodded in reply.

"Yeah, we can get looking."

-

"I'm surprised nana and papa aren't fed up of seeing you, Peanut" Dianna rolled her eyes as Demi lightly joked.

"How could I be fed up of seeing this little angel?"

"We've booked to go New Jersey at the end of March, the week before I need to start rehearsals for tour. Rhonda and Bruce haven't seen Ayla since she was in the NICU" Dianna playfully gasped down at Ayla in the car seat.

"Are you going to go and see your granny and grandpa?" Ayla babbled back.

"Do you think you'll be able to watch Batman and Ella?"

"I don't see why not, they're pretty easy to look after" Demi and I glanced over at Batman and Ella who were curled up on the couch beside Eddie, perfectly chilled out. Demi rolled her eyes as I chuckled. "Alright then, hand her over. I don't want you guys to be late" I gently handed the car seat over to Dianna who instantly began talking to Ayla.

"Do you know what he has planned?" Dianna chuckled as she glanced from Demi to me with a light smirk.

"I may have an idea" Demi groaned and rolled her eyes, turning to me with a glare, hitting me lightly on the chest.

"It's called a surprise for a reason, Baby" she turned to me with her tongue stuck out. "So mature" she rolled her eyes again and focused her attention back on Ayla.

"Mommy and daddy will see you soon, Peanut. Be good for nana and papa, okay?" she ran the back of her finger along Ayla's cheek causing her to coo. "I love you, my Beautiful Baby Girl" I couldn't help but to smile wider. I've definitely chose the right person to spend my life with.

"Okay, we've got to get up there because we do actually have plans" Demi glanced back at me with a nod.

"We've never left her over night before" I pressed a kiss to Demi's temple as she leant into my side.

"She'll be fine, Baby Girl."

"Yeah, she's in the best hands. We're not going too far away anyway so we can easily get home if we're needed" Demi nodded up at me but I could still see hesitation in her gaze. "Baby, we don't need to go if you don't want to?" Demi shook her head up at me with a smile.

"No, I want to go. It's our anniversary" I nodded and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I'm just a little nervous to leave her, that's all."

"That's completely normal, Baby" Demi turned to Dianna with a smile. "I hated leaving you and Dallas. It is nice to have a break once in a while though" Demi nodded and smiled back up at me.

"Okay, let's go before I change my mind" I chuckled lightly. I took Demi's hand in mine and intertwined our fingers.

"We'll see you Monday" they both sent us waves and Dianna gave me a wink as we began down the driveway and towards the car.

——