Twenty Six

Demi

I groaned as I woke, my hand flying to my stomach as it began to twist and turn. I shot out of bed, making it into the en-suite just in time for me to start heaving. I ran my fingers into my hair in an attempt to keep it out of my face. I clutched at my stomach and whimpered as I continued to throw up the little amount of food leftover in my stomach. I pushed myself to stand once I was convinced I'd finished. I flushed the toilet then headed to the sink so that I could rinse out my mouth and brush my teeth. I ran my hand along my stomach as I began back into the guest bedroom. I can't sleep in the master bedroom, there are far too many memories in that bed for me to want to sleep in there. I'm in the process of trying to find myself and Ayla, a new place to live. I can't stay here where there's so many memories. My eyes darted to the baby monitor that sat on the nightstand and I smiled at the sight of Ayla. I began from the room and straight into the room opposite, Ayla squealing as she noticed me.

"Good morning, Peanut" she giggled, throwing her arms out for me. "Did you have a good sleep?" I lifted her from the crib and cradled her against my side, my lips pressing a kiss to the top of her head as she cuddled herself into me. "Baby, you give the best cuddles ever" she lightly giggled against my side. It's been nearly 2 months since I found out about Max's affair and life has been so hectic. I haven't had the time to just sit and think. I've been spending a lot of my time either in the gym, in the studio or out with friends. I spent my birthday alone; well I wasn't alone because I had Ayla and my family but it wasn't how I planned to spend my 29th birthday. "Let's get this diaper changed and then we can get you some breakfast" Ayla babbled as I lowered her back onto the changing table, keeping my hand on her tummy to keep her still. I quickly changed her diaper, Ayla whining in protest. "And we're all clean" I blew on her cheek causing her to giggle. "Let's get you some breakfast, Baby Girl" as I began from the room, I could hear my phone ringing from the guest bedroom. I quickly darted into the room and grabbed my phone, answering the call without checking the caller ID. "Hello?" I breathed out as I began out of the bedroom.

"Hi, Dem."

"Kobe?" my eyebrows furrowed in slight confusion.

"Yeah, do you not check your caller ID?" I rolled my eyes, my stomach suddenly filling with butterflies at his gentle chuckle.

"I-I didn't look."

"Obviously" I chewed down on my lower lip as he just continued to chuckle. "You coming into the gym today?" I began downstairs and into the kitchen, keeping Ayla settled on my hip.

"I-I'm not sure. I..." I froze as my eyes ran briefly along the calendar that sat on the refrigerator.

"Dem?" a lump suddenly formed in my throat and I glanced down at my stomach that continued to flutter.

"Fuck."

"Demi, you okay?" I snapped back to reality and nodded.

"Yeah, I-I'm fine. I need to go" I pulled the phone from my ear and hung up even though I could hear his protests. I dropped my phone onto the counter and turned to the highchair, lowering Ayla down into it and pressing a kiss to her forehead. She whined at the loss of contact, continuing to whimper as I turned back to stare at the calendar on the refrigerator. I think she could sense how tense and panicky I was. I grabbed my phone off the counter and tapped onto Sirah's contact details, instantly dialling her number.

"Yo Babe. How are you?"

"Hi. I-I need you to do me a huge favour."

"What's wrong? You sound really shaky" I nodded, releasing a breath as I glanced down and ran my hand along my tummy.

"I need-I need you to run to the store for me."

"That's fine. What am I going for, Dems?"

"Pregnancy tests" tears welled up in my eyes at the words.

"Shit" I nodded, releasing a sarcastic chuckle.

"Yeah, my words exactly" I quickly wiped at my cheeks, briefly glancing back at Ayla who was whimpering as she stared at me.

"I'll be over as soon as possible, Dems, okay?"

"Thank you, Si."

"You're welcome. Love you."

"Love you too" the line went dead and I sighed as I dropped my phone down onto the counter, smiling at the message that pinged through.

Kobe🥊: You okay Dem?

Me: Sorry! I'm okay. Talk later?

I sniffled, wiping at my cheeks and trying to pull myself together as I glanced back at Ayla.

"Mommy's just being silly, Peanut" her arms shot out for me as she continued to whimper. I pressed a kiss to the palm of her hand causing her to lightly giggle.

"Mama."

"Shall we get you some breakfast, Baby Girl?" I ran my fingers through her hair causing her to gently squeal. "Let's get you some French toast and strawberries, huh, Gorgeous?" she just stared up at me with a look of worry. "I love you, my Precious Peanut" she giggled as I covered her face in kisses. I turned back to the counter once she was back to be happy, babbling away to herself. My eyes dropped to my phone and I smiled at the new message.

Kobe🥊: We can talk later! I'm only a phone call away 🙃

I locked my phone and sighed, glancing down at my stomach.

"What am I going to do if you're really in there?" I ran my hand along my stomach, just thinking for a moment, only pulling from my thoughts as Ayla squealed, banging on her highchair. "Alright, Little Miss" I began to grab out everything I'd need for breakfast, all while trying to stop myself from panicking.

——