Thirty Three

Demi

"Demi" Maddie squealed as she yanked open the front door. She threw herself at me, her arms locking tightly around my neck, being careful of Ayla who was settled on my hip.

"Hi, Mads" she nuzzled her face into my neck and tightened her grip around me. "You okay, Baby Girl?" she nodded as she eventually pulled from the hug. "That was a tight ass hug."

"I just missed you, that's all" I stroked a strand of hair behind her ear and pressed a gentle kiss to her cheek. "And hello to you too, Peanut. My favourite niece" Ayla leant herself into Maddie and I smiled as she began to babble back. "Don't go telling Savannah that I said that, though, yeah? That's our little secret" she placed her index finger over her lips causing Ayla to copy and giggle.

"Don't give my daughter ideas" Maddie giggled, turning and heading into the house. I released a sigh, pulling my phone from my pocket as it vibrated.

Kobe: Good luck DemDem! I'm sure they'll be happy 😁❤️

Me: You really need to stop using that nickname 🙄🙏🏼

"You coming?" I jumped, glancing up at Maddie who was staring back at me with her eyebrows furrowed. "Why are you smiling so wide? Who are you texting that's got you all red?"

"Nobody" her eyes narrowed in on me but she just turned back around and headed further into the house. I chewed down on my lower lip, glancing back down at my phone as it pinged.

Kobe: Never DemDem 😉

I rolled my eyes but the smile on my face just grew, my stomach filling up with butterflies. I stepped into the house and shut the door behind me. I rubbed my sweaty hands on my jeans and headed into the living room, smiling at the sight of Ayla with my dad.

"Hi Baby Girl" mom pushed herself up from the couch and wrapped me up in a hug, her lips pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"Hi Mom."

"How are you, Sweetheart?" she pulled away and stroked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I-I'm not bad. I kind of have some news for you" her eyebrows furrowed.

"What's up?" I nodded towards the couch, indicating for her to take a seat. I pulled my purse off my shoulder and rummaged around in it until I found the envelope. I handed it to my mom who just stared at it in confusion. "What is this, Sweetheart?"

"This is something that wasn't planned."

"Are you pregnant?" I turned to Maddie who's mouth had spread into a smile.

"Yes" mom ripped open the envelope and pulled out the ultrasound printouts, her hand covering her mouth as her eyes welled up with tears.

"Oh, Baby."

"Is Max the father?"

"Yeah, he doesn't believe me though so I'm currently doing this alone" I pressed my hand against my stomach as if to protect my baby from an invisible outside threat. "I had my 10 week scan a couple days ago, that's when I got the printouts" mom glanced up at me with a smile, her eyes watery with tears. "He-He's also threatening to take me to court."

"Why?" anger was all that seemed to radiate off my dad.

"Because of the photos that were in the tabloids."

"The photos of you and that man?"

"Kobe" their eyebrows furrowed. "His name's Kobe" mom nodded with a small smile as she glanced back down at the ultrasound. "I met him at the gym. We're friends, we-we're not..."

"You don't need to explain it to us, Honey."

"He's taking you to court because of Kobe?"

"Yeah. He doesn't want him around Ayla. I don't know what he plans to achieve though because it's not like he's ever really around. He hasn't seen Ayla in nearly two weeks and he claims that he's "busy"' I made sure to use finger quotes. "He's not busy, he just doesn't have any other excuse."

"Did you go to the appointment alone, Dem?" I shook my head, nervously chewing on my lip.

"No, Kobe came with me. Max refused to come because he doesn't believe that the baby is his. He thinks I'm lying. He thinks I've cheated on him and he refuses to have anything to do with the baby until I get a paternity test which I refused to do because why should I?"

"You aren't alone, Baby, okay? And even if he does take you to court, we'll fight with you all the way" I gave them a small smile.

"Thanks."

"Now, would you like anything to drink?"

"Please" mom signalled for me to take a seat.

-

"Come to mama, Peanut" I held my arms out in Ayla's direction as she stood in front of Maddie, slightly held up by her. Mom offered to feed me and Ayla, I couldn't decline, so we're staying over for dinner. I spent some time looking at houses with Maddie and I think I found the perfect house. I've booked a viewing and I'm hoping I like it as much in person as I did online. We also spent the rest of our time just playing and now we're trying to get Ayla to start walking. "You can do it, Baby. Walk to mama, Gorgeous" she giggled, beginning to bounce on her legs.

"Go and get your mama, Ayla" she whined her frustration as she stumbled forward slightly. Maddie pushed herself up onto her knees and began to aid Ayla in walking forwards, shuffling forwards on her knees. She started to giggle as she took one step at a time, Maddie holding onto her hands until she eventually let go and she stumbled to me, collapsing into my arms.

"Oh Baby, you did it" I gave her a squeeze, kissing all over her face causing her to squeal. "You are getting far too big, Little Miss" she giggled as she dropped down onto the floor, squirming as I tickled at her belly. "I love you, Peanut."

"Uv, Mama" my heart melted.

"You're so sweet, Gorgeous" I leant to press a kiss to the tip of her nose causing her to giggle. "You are everything I have ever wanted. I love you" she scrambled up onto her feet and curled herself into me, her hand, even though she had no idea about the baby, settled onto my stomach and that action alone caused my eyes to well up with tears.

——