Twenty Five

Demi

I threw a punch at the bag hanging from the ceiling, giggling as Jay released a dramatic huff.

"You've gotten stronger."

"There's no way I've gotten stronger in a day?" he just chuckled.

"Take 5. We can then go onto the mat?" I nodded, ripping the boxing gloves off my hands and dumping them onto the floor as I grabbed my water bottle and took a gulp.

"I didn't think I'd see you back so soon" my heart actually skipped a beat at the voice. I glanced up at the dark skinned, and very handsome stranger, my stomach beginning to flutter with nerves.

"And I didn't think I'd ever see you again" he lightly chuckled as I sent him a smirk. He lowered himself down onto the bench beside me, my heart thumping at the closeness. Why is this guy having such an effect on me?

"I spend almost every day here, especially at the moment. I'm getting ready for a fight" my mouth slightly dropped.

"You do MMA?"

"I'm a world champion, Baby" I rolled my eyes as he chuckled but my heart still skipped several beats.

"You think highly of yourself?"

"Nah, I won by default and it was a while ago" I used to spend every day of my life watching MMA but I can't say I recognise him at all.

"I love MMA. I don't recognise you though" my eyebrows furrowed as I took in his every feature.

"That hurts" I giggled as he held his hand over his heart and dramatically wiped away a "fake" tear. "I'm not surprised, I was only 18 when I won" I nudged him in the side causing him to chuckle as I glanced away with a roll of my eyes. "I'm not huge, I'm not good enough to fight the professionals."

"I'm sure you're better than you think you are."

"Well, I'm glad someone has faith in me" I lightly giggled, glancing down at my hands as my cheeks blushed. "Jay taking you onto the mat?" I nodded, glancing to Jay who was starting to set up the pads.

"Yeah" he pushed himself up from the bench and headed towards Jay. I followed along behind, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion as he took the pads from Jay and he signalled me over.

"What's going on?"

"You want to show me what you've got, Lovato?" I couldn't help but to share his smirk.

"If I'm going to hit you, the least I could know is your name?" I taunted as I pulled on my gloves.

"Kobe. Kobe Johnson, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"It's a pleasure to meet you too" he rolled his eyes but widely smiled as I dramatically curtseyed.

"Alright then, Lovato. Show me what you've got" I giggled, beginning to bounce on the mat, preparing myself to hit the pads.

-

'I don't have much but at least I still have me
And that's all I need
So take my faith but at least I still believe
And that's all I need
I don't have much but at least I still have me'

"Good job, Dems" I wiped the tears from my cheeks as I crashed back to reality. "That was perfect" I released a breath and swallowed down the lump that had suddenly formed in my throat.

"At least I still have me, huh?"

"You still have you, Dems" I chewed down on my lower lip and glanced down at my nails as I nervously picked at them. "I think we're good for the day, Demi" I pushed myself off the stool and began out of the booth, dropping down onto the couch. I grabbed my purse, rummaging around in it until I found my phone.

Mom: Hi Baby! I don't want to alarm you but I think Ayla's coming down with something.

And I suddenly went into mommy mode. I tapped onto my mom's contact details and dialled her number.

"Hi Baby."

"What's wrong with her?"

"I think she's just got a bit of tummy flu. She threw up earlier when I messaged you. She's now asleep on your dad but she has a low-grade fever" I sighed, my fingers running into my hair.

"I'll be home as soon as I can be."

"Okay Baby. You want us to take her home?"

"Please, Max doesn't have a car seat in the car."

"I'll meet you at home, Baby Girl, okay?" I nodded, glancing to Oak who kept taking glances at me. "She'll be fine, Baby. We'll see you soon, okay?"

"Okay. Love you, Mom."

"Love you too, Baby" the phone line went dead and I sighed as I dropped back against the couch and stared up at the ceiling.

"Everything okay, Dems?"

"Ayla's sick and it is so not what I need right now."

"You can get out of here, Dems. The songs nearly finished, I just need to merge everything together and then I can get it sent over and you can get it released."

"Are you sure?" he nodded over at me with a smile.

"Go and take care of your daughter, Dems" I pushed myself up from the couch and wrapped my arms around him.

"Thank you, Oak."

"You're welcome, Sweetheart. Let me know how she is."

"I will do. Bye" he sent me a wave as I began from the studio, texting Max to let him know I was on my way down.

-

"Shall we go and have cuddles, Peanut?" Ayla whined as she sat on my hip, her head resting on my shoulder. She whimpered as she chewed down on her fingers. "Are your teeth hurting you too, Baby?" I lightly rubbed at her cheeks. "Let's get the pacifier from the refrigerator, Ayla, that should soothe your gums, Baby" she whimpered as I headed into the kitchen and began towards the refrigerator but I froze as my eyes landed on the key that sat on the island counter. For a moment there was an ache in my chest, and I had to remind myself that all of this was his own fault. Ayla's whimper pulled me from my stare and I focused back on the task at hand, heading to the refrigerator to grab out the pacifier, praying that it would help to soothe Ayla's gums.

——