Chapter 4: Shopping

We drove for a few minutes quietly. I kept waiting for Spencer to start talking, like he often did when the room was quiet, but he didn't.

"Spence, just because we're doing this doesn't mean you can't be yourself." I said, keeping my eyes on the road, "This is no different from when we go on a shopping trip or are driving to a case site. You can be yourself."

He nodded and visibly relaxed and began rattling off statistics about sexual acts and related topics. I was unsurprised he had those statistics in his head. I listened curiously until we arrived at the shopping center, where I turned off the car and turned to him. He trailed off.

"If you ever get uncomfortable or see something you don't like, tell me and we'll leave, no more questions asked. I will be asking you to pick some toys, and I'll be choosing others, but you always have the right to say no. Okay?"

He nodded, "Got it. Thank you."

"Of course, Reid. Let's go." I got out of the car and he followed my lead. We walked towards the shop as I locked the car, and I could see Spencer getting excited and nervous.

The bell jingled as the shop door opened. I waved to the cashiers as Spencer looked around.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" A voice called from the back of the shop.

I perked up at the familiar voice. "Jenna?"

I glanced a mane of blue-green hair and was tackled into a hug by one of my oldest friends, Jenna. She was glowing, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"How are you?" She asked. "It's been a while. How's the fancy FBI job? And who is this?" Her eyes ran up and down Spencer's body, and he waved shyly.

"Jenna, this is my coworker, Doctor Spencer Reid. Reid, this is Jenna, an old play partner of mine."

She held out her hand, "Hi! I'm Jenna, she/her pronouns. Nice to meet you."

"Dr. Reid, he/him," he said, quickly catching on, then glanced at me, "Ex-girlfriend?"

I shook my head, "Nah, casual play partner. Jenna's married."

"Yep! Wife of, well, depends of if you go by when our ceremony was or when we legally got married." She held up her left hand, revealing a gold band with inlaid rainbow sapphires, "Why, are you her new boyfriend?"

Reid glanced at me, unsure how to answer, but Jenna looked between us and understood. "Still figuring it out?"

We both nodded.

"Okay! Let me know if you ever want a third." She winked and went back to her shopping, leaving me chuckling and Spencer kind of shocked.

"Sorry about that," I chuckled, getting a basket before beginning to walk around the clothing displays and considering how different items would look on Spencer, "She's a lot to handle at first. But she means well, and she's a sweetheart."

"I just... I didn't know you had connections. Like, I did, but I somehow forgot that we might see people you know. Sorry." He smiled.

"Don't apologize. You're still new to all of this." I shrugged, then picked up a lacy jockstrap and held it up. Spencer's eyes went wide, and I smiled. "That's a keeper."

He clearly wanted to argue but knew better. By the time we got through clothing, he was pointing out some pieces that suited my taste, becoming more confident.

"Do I get to try any of it on?" He asked.

I shook my head, "No, they don't even have open bathrooms here. You can put it on over your clothes on the floor, but there have been too many dressing room incidents. And all clothing is final sale."