Chapter 57: Before The Gunshot

"Agent (Y/L/N), Dr. Reid is requesting you move to channel two."

I sighed and switched my radio but heard nothing.

"What's wrong, what did you find?" asked the girl.

I knew I couldn't lie. "You're wired up to some kind of explosive, but I don't know what or where the trigger is. Something as simple as unzipping your dress might... activate it."

"Oh- oh, no, please, agent, help-" she started.

"Hey," I put my arm around her gently, "It's okay. I'm going to figure it out."

She nodded, "Okay."

My radio buzzed and I looked down at it.

"(Y/N)?" Spencer sounded terrified, "Morgan literally cuffed me to a car, tell me what's going on?"

"Who's that?" asked the girl.

"That's my husband, he's another agent on the team investigating the case." I answered honestly, then activated my radio, "I'm in here with one of the girls, she's wired into what I think is a bomb."

"What the- get out of there right now." Spencer was angry. "Get out."

"No." I said firmly, "I am not leaving her alone. Now either shut up or I will turn my radio off."

"What about Maeve and Tobias?" he answered, and now I could hear the pain in his voice, "What the fuck do I tell them?"

"We will get home and tell them we got the bad guy." I had to believe that. "Now, Spencer, be quiet."

I turned my radio back to the main channel, but it was silent. I was the only one remaining in the building, and they were waiting for me.

"Has someone called a bomb squad?" I asked.

"Yes, but they're an hour out," That was Hotch. "Have you found a timer?"

"No, I'm going to start looking. Keep me updated." I turned my attention back to the girl, "My name is (Y/N), by the way, I work with the FBI."

She held out her hand carefully, "I'm Alyss, I'm just a waitress."

"It's wonderful to meet you, Alyss, and I'm so sorry we're getting to know each other under these circumstances, but I may need to cut open your dress." There was no use in beating around the bush. "I can do it, but I need you on your stomach, as still as you can be."

Alyss nodded, moving slowly onto her stomach. I grabbed my knife and cut the thin fabric of her dress slowly, carefully moving wires out of the way. I got all the way down the dress and slowly opened the fabric, so it was laid out like butterfly wings on either side of her.

"Well?" Alyss's voice shook. "How bad is it?"

"I don't know yet," I answered, "I'm still working on it."

My radio buzzed, "Agent, do you have an ID on the remaining victim?"

"Alyss, what's your last name?" I asked.

"Treaty."

"Alyss Treaty," I answered, "I'm working on finding the bomb now, it's hidden in the dress somehow."

"Agent (Y/N), please put in your earpiece so we can guide you, this is the bomb squad." That was Rossi. Not bomb squad.

"Roger," I connected my earpiece and put it in, still gently moving around wires, "What information do you need?"

"Alyss Treaty doesn't exist," Spencer said, voice trembling, "She's a book character. I don't know who you're with, but it's not her."

"No, all the wires are black," I answered, "Is there another way to identify them?"