Chapter 71: Family

"So, I heard you get to go on your first case tomorrow." I smiled as M walked in. "How are you feeling?"

They shrugged, "Nervous, excited, kind of scared too, I guess."

"All understandable. Do you want some advice?"

Their eyes went wide, "Please."

"Treat it like the simulation. The team's dealt with the worst, they've seen close to everything. And they want you to succeed. Ask for help, do your best, and always remember Hotch has an ankle holster."

They raised an eyebrow.

"Ask Hotch and Reid on the plane, it's a story worth hearing." I advised. "But, really, we wouldn't bring you into the field if we didn't think you were ready."

"Thank you, Agent," they smiled.

I nodded, "I'm just helping to provide the invitation you deserve."

***

"Interrogation tactics must be adapted to the specific unsub," I reminded the class. "The exact words you use may vary and will give different results."

"What are the most common words that may make a difference?" Someone asked.

"Good question," I responded, "Something as simple as girl versus woman may elicit different reactions. Child versus daughter or son, killed versus murdered. Different words for sex. If an unsub has left notes at the scenes, consider using their language. If they're killing on a specific date, use words that remind them of the trigger or stressor. Always be watching the unsub and how they react. Adapt to the unsub."

I waited for a few seconds for questions and taking notes. There were a few murmurs, but no more questions.

"We're going to be doing two case reviews. Everyone will be given the same interrogation transcripts. For both, I want you to go through, identify the strategies used, and point out how the agents adapted to the unsub. For the second one, you will notice that we actually brought in one of the possible future victims; this case is the Son of Sam copycat. Identify the strategies used before and after the potential victim was brought in and the different reaction from the unsub." I pulled out the stacks of transcripts from my bag. "We'll be ending class early so you can begin work on this; if you have any questions, come up and ask."

I walked off the stage, passing out the transcripts, answering a few basic questions about annotation before going back to my desk.

Message from: Daddy <3
Just landed. M's already doing great.

Message to: Daddy <3
Thank you. Be safe, I love you.

Message from: Daddy <3
I love you too.

***

I pulled up to Deanna's school and texted her, waiting in the parking lot. I scrolled idly through my phone, windows rolled down, when I heard shouting. I immediately shot up, hand going to my hip. My gun was under my jacket, but still easily accessible. I got out, walking quickly towards the source of the noise.

"Shut the fuck up!" Someone yelled. "Just leave me alone."

That sounds like Deanna.

I rounded the corner to see a bunch of people in a circle, laughing at someone.

"You thought you could hide that your parents are fucking feds and you're a pity adoption?" A different voice teased. "They don't even love you, do they?"

"Why do you care?" Deanna spat. "They're not your parents."

"Are they training you to be a fed like they are? You're going to be a narc?" That was a female voice.