Chapter 72: Epilogue

Deanna graduated high school and got into her dream college. As we helped her pack, I cried, promising to send her monthly care packages and call often.

"Stay safe," I reminded her. "We're always available."

"I know, mom. I'll be okay." She smiled and pulled me into a hug. "Now please just let me get on the plane."

Maeve and Tobias started kindergarten, already able to read. Spencer read them books about nuclear fission at bedtime, making them spout facts I barely understood. I laughed every time they came into the office and explained how Penelope's computers were constructed.

Agent M Harper, who we all jokingly called James Bond, had finished their training and formally begun at the BAU. Spencer mentored them between puzzle games that they completed faster than the rest of us could get through the first clue.

"Cheers to the newest member of the BAU, Special Agent M!" I raised my glass. "Kick ass and takes names, kid, you're going to be great."

"Yes!" Spencer grinned. "I'm not kid anymore!"

"Sure, pretty boy." M teased. "You can believe that."

Everyone laughed as Spencer stuck his tongue out at them.

"You're a good person and a great agent. That's what matters on this team." Hotch gave them a small smile. "Welcome to the team."

It didn't feel like toasting my replacement, but welcoming the next generation. I'd served my time and now was a teacher, helping the next group of agents figure out the craziness of the FBI.

"What can I call you now?" M asked me. "Still agent? Or do I get the privilege of calling you by your last name, since that's a theme here."

I shrugged. "I told you on your first day of class, M; just don't call me ma'am. My name works fine."

"Yeah," Morgan laughed, "Ma'am is reserved for-"

"Derek!" I cut him off. "No."

"It's okay, I had my suspicions." M smirked. "I did profile Reid was the submissive partner. It's not surprising. And judging by the lack of reactions, so did everyone else."

Well, they did have a point there.

I'd widened my course load, now teaching two profiling courses; one on witness profiling and one on unsubs. I continued coordinating regular simulations with all FBI academy students, regularly getting the BAU team involved; it was a nice break for all of us, and they helped with giving feedback.

Life was good.

***

I walked into my lecture hall to find a note in Spencer's handwriting. I smiled and began to read, thinking it was first-day-back encouragement.

In the minute it took to read it, my world came crashing down.

Spencer, please, hold on for me.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
THERE IS A SEQUEL: LINK BELOW.

https://www.wattpad.com/988321840-when-the-world-ends-prologue