Chapter 56: Do Whatever You Need To

Maeve stood up using my shirt as a ladder, and I held her up and turned her around to face Spencer.

"Go on, go to dad!" I encouraged.

"The average age for babies to start walking in the United States is 12 months, she might not-"

She walked over to him, only wobbling a little, falling against his chest and gurgling as she looked up at him.

"You were saying?" I laughed, "How dare you think our children would be normal, Dr. Spencer Reid?"

He held Maeve up and looked at her, "You just had to walk as I was saying that, huh? You had to sass me like that?"

She smiled and spit up on him, making me completely devolve into laughter.

"Brat," he muttered, grabbing a nearby rag to wipe his shirt off. "You're lucky I'm not in work clothes."

Tobias, who'd been nearby, laying down under a mobile, looked up, crawling over to Spencer and babbling incoherently.

"If you start busting out in full sentences before 12 months, I am going to die laughing," I told him, "Please do it."

"Developmentally, it's not impossible, but it is unlikely."

"Reid, you have an eidetic memory and we both have higher education and IQs well above 100, and I know that's not an accurate measure of intelligence, but do you really think our kids will be anywhere close to normal?"

He shrugged, "Good point."

"Hold up, I'm gonna get my phone, I want a picture from today of her walking." I stood, grabbing my phone.

Spencer encouraged Maeve to walk back to me. Slowly, she started the first few steps, making it most of the way before falling onto one of my legs. I laughed and stopped the video, about to toss my phone aside when it rang.

"Hold up, uh-" I looked down to see Deanna's name on the screen, "Shit, I should probably take this." I tried to get Maeve off my leg, but she held onto me, so I put her on my hip as I walked out of the room. "This is Agent (Y/N)."

"Hey, it's me, Deanna," she sounded- scared? Out of breath? "I need something from you."

"Yeah, of course, what's going on?" I asked, "Try to breathe, it's okay."

"My parents started yelling at me for asking you for the names of therapists... they're having a fight... I need you- I don't know, I just didn't know who else to call."

"Send me their numbers, now." I said firmly, "I'm going to give Spencer your number, he'll stay on the phone with you while I talk to them, okay?"

"Okay..." I heard noises in the background, "I just sent them to you."

"Where are you right now?"

"My room, I locked the door." She answered, "But the apartment is small..."

"Okay, that was the right move. Spencer's going to call you in a second, okay? I'll talk to them. If you feel unsafe, we can dispatch officers."

"It's fine, it's not that bad-" I heard banging in the background, "Just hurry."

She hung up. I immediately walked back into the living room, practically throwing Spencer's phone at him, "I'm texting you Deanna's number. Call her, she needs to be talking to someone, her parents are fighting because of the therapist situation or something. I'm going to call them."

Spencer nodded, already looking down to see the number on his phone. A text popped up from Deanna with a number, which I immediately dialed, holding Maeve close to me as I paced.