Dropping out

Virgil's POV

I'm walking around the Halloween Store. I have a cart filled with supplies. I have face paints, wigs, costume pieces, and decorations.

I help a shelter that takes care of children who have no families that they can go to. Whether they are orphans or from an abusive household. I only visit during the holidays and sometimes the weekends if I am free. I recently got a job at a cafe and I saved up my money. I worked as many hours as I could.

I grab a decoration of a skeleton that has red light up eyes and a black cloak on it. I press the button on its hand and it plays scary music as it says different scary catchphrases. It's cheap so I put it in my cart.

I buy all the items and then walk up to the car. I recently learned how to drive. I am supposed to be driving with an adult since I need to complete all my hours but Remy doesn't care and just wants me to avoid the law. Our parents had to leave again so they don't know about this. But they would kill us if they did.

I arrive home and set my bags down. I put everything together to look nice and then put them in a huge box. I put the box in the backseat and then drive to the shelter. I grab the box and enter seeing familiar faces.

One of my favorite workers walk over. Their name is Wren and they are pretty chill.

"Hey Vee, it's been a while," They say as they grab the box and give me a fist bump.

"Yeah sorry Wren," I notice that their hair is messy. "Your bun undid itself, hold on." I grab their red hair and undo the bun, they have long hair so its kind of tricky. After a few minutes I fix their hair.

"Thanks Vee. I'm going to unload the box and you should interact with the kids and teens. They missed you."

"I know and I missed them too," I walk out to the main room. Two little kids, Leo who is five, loves sharks and dinosaurs, and is from Puerto Rico, which leads to cool stories hugs me. The other kid is a girl who is seven named Daniele, short brown hair, is a medium (can talk to ghosts and has taught me some tricks), and is from Las Vegas hugs me as well.

I return the hug, "You two got older. Stop that. Otherwise I'll be shorter than you two when your both my age now."

We all share a small laugh.

Leo asks, "Where have you been?"

"I've been at school and work. I wanted to visit sooner but I got distracted with friends."

Daniele chuckles, "Do any of them happen to be a boyfriend~?" She asks, teasing me.

I blush, "Maybe..."

"Seriously?! That's great!"

"I guess... Anyway, umm... Let's play some games and catch up!"

After a few hours I get some texts from the group chat. I open it and Leo peeks over my shoulder as Daniele subtly looks over my other shoulder.

Logan: I may have did something.

Roman: What did you do?

Patton: You guys switched personalities! 🤯😲

Logan: That's impossible, Patton.

Virgil: What happened?

Logan: I was looking at Halloween costumes ideas on my computer when my parents came into my room. They got off their business trip early. They have offered me a job to work with them. Though I will have to drop out during Christmas break.

Virgil: WHAT?! NO!

Logan: That's what I said.... At first. But think about it. They are rich and have successful lives and they did the same thing.

Roman: Logan what about NASA?

Patton: And Senior year?! 😨

Logan: I haven't accepted the offer I am just thinking about it. I just wanted to inform you all about it. I shall go for now so I can think about this more.

Roman: You better not drop out! We need you Logan. You finish the group and your smart and if you take this job you will always be away from us. We always stick together.

Patton: I agree. And what about your relationship with Virgil? Virgil what do you think? 😓😯

Virgil: I don't want to force you Lo. But this is something you should really think about. I mean what about prom, senior skip day, senior prank, graduation? Us?

Logan: I will consider those events as I think about this.

Roman: Seriously? Fine.

Patton: Okai. 😔

Virgil: Talk later. Please think about this Lo.

I put my phone away and go back to talking everyone before I leave. I get home, do some homework, shower, eat, and then go to bed.

The thought of Logan dropping out, never leaving my mind once. I hope he picks the right choice.