Chapter _18_

The moment I was breaking my head about what I should do, and whether I was willing to sacrifice my freedom for the sake of my family, there was a knock on the door.

"Kay, mayI come in?"

Lucas said and was already starting to open the door, not waiting for my answer.I wanted to shoot him with one angry and furious look, but I think the only thing my look actually said was

Why did you have to do this to me Lucas?

I watched him sit on the floor in front of me and I turned my head because I couldn't stand this tension that threw me to the edge of tears.

"I know that an apology won't change anything, but I'm sincerely sorry. Nothing should have turned out like this ..."

He continued, tugging his hair lightly.

"I was reckless and stupid. I thought I would get to the top and show how fearless I was by 'cheating' the king of the underworld.... But I turned out to be a fool and in spite of everything I put everything in danger..."

Suddenly anger boiled within me

"You really are a fool, and selfish, and asshole! How could you do this to me? To me, to all of us?"

Emotions reached their maximum and I was at the point of breaking.

"Forgive me!!!"

Silence. Painful silence took over.After a few moments his voice shattered the darkness into a million pieces and what he said next cut me like shattered glass.

"The only bright thing is that he offered me a choice. I was already preparing to die, because my death would show that no one should mess with him. But he surprised me when he showed his willingness to marry you and thus allowed me to save the whole family ... it doesn't look like Noah Carter at all. "

The crucifying pain in my heart and the nagging noise in my head was unbearable. He?

"Noah ...? Oh my God, why are you doing this to me?"

I fell to my knees and buried my head in the palms of my trembling hands. This is the beginning of my life imprisonment and the bars of my imaginary prison have begun to suffocate me and I have already felt the stabbing pain around my wrists due to the bloody handcuffs.

Although I didn't want to admit it, from the moment my father told me the news, I knew what I had to do. Like it or not. I could not live peacefully for the rest of my life knowing that I have stained my mind and soul with the blood of my ‚‚loved‚‚ ones.

After I calmed down a bit I went to my father's office. When I entered, for the first time in my life, I saw Roger lost and hopeless. My bloodshot eyes from crying found his

"I agree."

---------------

The flight home was strenuous and stuttering. I felt like I was boarding a plane that would take me through all of Dante's nine rounds of hell. The relief and hope in the eyes of my family after I announced my acceptance of the offer was strange. I don't think they expected their savior to be the person who shamelessly left them and virtually renounced them. Our dark secrets always find a way to come out into the light of day and mark our skin like some nasty wildfire.

Noah? Can I imagine myself with a person I have decided to erase from my life? What will happen to my life anyway? Regardless of the consequences, I do not intend to give up my job or my friends because of the new situation. What did Lucas mean when he practically called Noah a "savior"? 

I tried to imagine what my life would look like in the next 10 minutes, 10 days, 10 years. Fear of the unknown totally blocked my mind and I had the strength to think for only the next 10 seconds.

The noise of the city bustle enveloped me like magic as the taxi swirled through the crowded roads of New York City.

Reluctantly, I rummaged through my bag to find the keys and unlocked the front door of the building. The hallways that led me to my apartment with each step narrowed more and more in my consciousness and a sense of claustrophobia threatened to tear down my walls.

I looked up and there, in front of me, stood my executioner, elegantly leaning against the door in a suit and with a loose tie.His penetrating gaze crushed me like an earthquake.

Now is not the time to show my weakness. I know everything will pass, I know that nothing will ever be the same again, because those condemning eyes of his will bring me eternal rains.

I looked at him with all my strenght, unlocked the door and left it open for him to enter. . . 

I will not let you feed on my fear, Noah.