Chapter Thirty: Novocaine

"This isn't working out," Kagome groaned, slamming her head against the table. The pencils, pen, and markers on the surface rattled with the force. Stacks and stacks of manilla envelopes were surrounding you, some open, some tossed to the side, and some sat idly by.

"There's just too many people," Keito sighed, tossing yet another one to the side. "Too many faces."

"Sensei isn't there a faster way to do this?" Kagome asked, raising her head to look at you.

"The forensic scientist here isn't exactly cooperating with us. All their equipment is off-limits to us," You replied, writing another name down on the whiteboard.

"Then let's go back to Hiroshima! To our lab!" Kagome said.

"We need to stay here."

"Well, what if just Kagome and I go?" Keito asked. You put the cap on the marker and turned on your heel to face him.

"Do you think I'm stupid enough to let you, the very person who tried to assassinate Kagome, go 500 kilometers away with her alone? You're fucking insane."

"Sensei, come on," Kagome said, glancing at Keito, then to you. "He's not bad anymore. We've made our amends,"

"That doesn't pass over the fact he shot an arrow at you. Plus he had a gun." You stated.

"I can handle myself now! I have a stand, remember? If anything happens, I can always use it to protect myself! I'll be okay. Besides, Keito and I are friends now. After a long discussion over some coffee--"

"That you dumped on me," Keito interjected.

"--We are on good terms now. We know how to work all the stuff in the lab, and we know all the protocols. One of us has to stay here, and it'd just be awkward if I stayed with Jotaro and Kakyoin, so that person has to be you. I'm good enough that I can do this by myself, I'm sure of it. If you didn't think so, you wouldn't have given me the reins," Kagome grinned at you, propping her arm on the table with her chin in her hand.

"Then I take it ba-"

"Sensei, please! Trust us!"

"I trust you. I don't trust him," You said, glancing at Keito.

"Well, I do. And that should count as something!" Kagome pleaded with you. She stood and walked around the table and took your hands. "Please!"

"This isn't a field trip," You said. "This is serious."

"I know! And I promise I'll do everything I'm supposed to. I'm a forensic scientist too! I wanna help people too, and I can only do that if I have the ability to do so!" She said, squeezing your hands. You stared at her before sighing.

"I'll make the arrangements for you to be escorted there. And-" Kagome and Keito cheered. "-And I will be speaking with the Speedwagon Foundation to see if someone down there could check up on you."

"Thanks, sensei!" Kagome said.

You looked at Keito. "If I hear so much as the smallest complaint, I'll fly to Hiroshima and beat the hell out of you. And if anything happens to Kagome, then you better start your escape plan, 'cause I'll hunt you down and kill you wherever you are. Got it?"

The sandy blonde swallowed hard, then nodded. "Y-yes, m-ma'am."

"Good."

..

"Y/n, please stop pacing love," Kakyoin said, watching you walk back and forth in front of the window.

"I'm not pacing,"