Chapter 45

In honor of Super Bowl Sunday, I present you with the final chapter of The Text! Enjoy! :D

I was moving around in my seat, not being able to get comfortable. Mrs. Jennifer left the room, urging us to begin without her. She's been on the phone for well over ten minutes now, making my nerves sky rocket. They've probably lost all vision on my parents. We all know we're going to get bad news, but none of us have the balls to say it aloud.

"So, Chloe, I hear you're starting college in the fall. What are you majoring in?" Mr. Kevin asked, trying to lighten the mood.

I smiled brightly at the question, mainly because it gives me a reason to smile. "Well, it's still new to me, but I plan on majoring in literature and obtaining a minor in journalism."

"Ohh. You're into writing?"

"Yes sir. I've always loved the way a pen and paper felt in my hand. Being able to create a story, give life to characters, and use my imagination, it's what's kept me sane all these years."

"I'm glad you had something to help you get through those tough times. I've dealt with a lot of cases, and all of them have had different ways of coping. Some more...exotic than others."

I can only imagine what some of them had to do in order to get through the day. I know I've thought of doing some horrible things to myself, which I'm not proud of.

"If it wasn't for writing, I don't know if I would be alive right now." I sighed, thinking of all those times I was just an inch away from taking my own life.

"I'm glad you are, and I'm sure Hayden is too." He smirked, taking a sip of his water.

Hayden grinned, kissing my cheek. "Dang right."

Our conversation continued with simple questions, really just Mr. Kevin trying to find out more about me. Kelsey even asked a few questions, none being that serious of course. She was trying to figure out my favorite games and princesses. It was adorable like always. Hayden and I remained calm, not letting the nerves get to us. Although we were both terrified, we didn't want them to worry. They shouldn't have to.

"Kelsey, can you take Tiny up to your room for a moment? He seems to be getting bored." Mrs. Jennifer asked, walking back in to the room.

"Alright mommy." Kelsey grinned and ushered Tiny to follow her upstairs.

Mrs. Jennifer sat down in her seat and cleared her throat, pulling her hair to the side. "Well, you'll never have to see their disgusting faces again."

I widened my eyes, hoping I heard her right. "So, they've been arrested?"

"Yepp. Their court date is in two weeks. They asked for you to testify, but I knew it would be too much for you to handle so I decided to just get you to write a statement."

I jumped out of my chair, rushing over to her and giving her a huge hug. "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!"

She chuckled, hugging me back. "You're welcome, Chloe. But this is just our job. The real person you should be thanking is Hayden. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have been able to collect the evidence we needed to make the arrest."

I turned towards Hayden, grinning from ear to ear. He was smiling, eating a spoonful of black eyed peas. I didn't care if we were in front of his Aunt and Uncle. I walked right up to him and placed my lips on his, saying everything I needed to in this passionate kiss. We were both smiling like idiots, not being able to control our excitement.

"I was just trying to protect you, get you as far away from them as possible. It's no big deal." He shrugged his shoulders as I sat back down and continued eating my meal.