Dinner With The Governor: AU1 Chapter 1

Ethan cautiously sat in the seat next to me, giving a brief glance into my eyeline before looking to Naveen and the governor.

I admire the whole gentleman thing he has going on...but it's taking it's toll on me. I can still see the desire and longing etched on his face... Knowing that he wants to keep things professional for my sake pains me even more when it's not what I want...

"It's lovely to see you again, Doctor Valentine and Doctor Ramsey. And a pleasure to meet you, Doctor Emery." Governor Rivera smiled in each of our directions.

"The pleasure's all mine, Governor..." Harper said with pride.

I felt Ethan's knee against mine under the table, unsure how to react, I glanced his way to see no reaction from him at all.

"Naveen has told me all about your diagnostic team, Doctor Ramsey. How is that going, may I ask?"

"*cough* Very Well. Doctor Valentine hear is a credit to the team already and only started today. The whole team is running very smoothly." He nodded firmly.

The compliments are making me melt...

His knee retreated, as if it had no other intention than just harmless, accidental contact. My legs crossed over eachother, I used the tip of my foot to stroke his leg ever so gently...to the point where it could be believed to be accidental.

A waiter placed down a tray of sea food in the centre of the table as the governor smiled "I'm very glad to hear such good things. And now the food had arrived, I'm sure you all deserve to enjoy it."

Ethan looked to me and I looked to him, I searched his eyes as I moved my foot ever so slightly again.

"Oh! Thank you, Governor, this looks delightful." Harper said, amazed at the spread before us.

I turned my attention from Ethan and smiled. "Yes, thank you for inviting me this evening."

"Of course. You helped my son. This is the least I can do." She said with kind eyes.

Suddenly, although I didn't flinch, Ethan's hand was upon my thigh as he remained as composed as ever. I lay my hand on top of his and continued to move my foot against him in softer, longer strokes. Our fingers entwined as Naveen made conversation, although I'm sure neither of us were paying attention. His hand brushed against my thigh in a gentle manner as we focused our gaze on anything, anything, but eachother.

An hour went by and the governor rose from her seat and said "please excuse me, I'm going to freshen up in the ladies room."

"I'll join you, if that's alright." Harper rose and the governor smiled and nodded in agreement. As they both left, Naveen raised a brow to Ethan and I.

"You two have been quiet this evening."

"You know I don't do well at social gatherings Naveen..." Ethan sighed.

"Hm...I guess so. Doctor Valentine?"

"just... nervous. I was only an intern 24 hours ago, now I'm at a dinner with the governor of Massachusetts, it's a lot to take in."

He considered my words and said "okay... I'll be fetching a glass of water. I'll be back in a moment."

Then, it was just us.

We both relieved a breath that I for one didn't realise I had been holding as we looked at eachother for the first time that whole hour.

"Rookie..." He sighed.

"I know..." I glanced down.

His hand lay on my leg once more and he had a gentle, comforting hold on me.

"This... this is proving more difficult than I thought It would." He refused to look my way.

"...I get that feeling too..." I sighed.

"We will be okay...I promise." He nodded firmly, looking at the table.

As much as I wanted to question this, I nodded slowly.

I felt his hand begin to move away, so I took it in my hold, his hand considerably larger than mine.

He looked up to me and leaned across, brushing a gentle kiss to his cheek.

"Dammit..." He murmured under his breath as he laced his fingers with mine as if it was against his own will...

"... Thank you, Ethan." I said.

He raised his brow with confusion.

"... today has been quite nerve-wracking. But... you've helped me through it..." I raised my glass with my free hand.

"too my second year at Edenbrook. And to you..."

He raised his and said "To your second year at Edenbrook...I hope to be by your side." He nodded.

We shared a gentle smile and took a sip of our drinks as Naveen sat back down.

"Ah, talk about anything without me?"

Our hands seperated and Ethan straightened himself out, stopping as he considered Naveen.

"Naveen. I think you forgot something."

"what could I possibly be forgetting?" He smiled ruefully.

I raised my brow to him and held up my glass.

"Oh! Yes! Water! Silly me, it escaped my thoughts." He chuckled in an almost nervous matter.

Thank you Naveen...