Never Enough: AU1 Chapter 38

Valentine

About 24 Hours Ago....

"V!"

I was almost knocked over by a whizzing blur, but after regaining my balance, I was met face to face with a panicking Jackie.

"Jackie? Is everything okay?" I asked, my brow starting to knit with worry...

"Emergency! Now!" her expression was stern. a kind of stern that made me realise that the severity of what was happening, or about to happen, was quite high.

I nodded firmly and followed her as we dashed down the hall, past the elevator and down the stairs... I didn't dare ask any questions since the alarm in her voice, the alarm in steps...made me understand that this wasn't a situation to be questioned.

As we continued down the hall, a fit of dry and harsh coughs bounced off the walls, causing a wave of dread to flow over me...

and that wave of dread was followed by another...and another...

....when I came face to face with Kyra sitting on the floor of her small accounting office, coughs racking through her body and a tissue pressed to her mouth stained with blood....

About 24 Hours Later...

"V..." Erica sighed sympathetically as we sat in the cafeteria.

She and the babies are fine! We just decided to have coffee this morning. Plus I wanted to see my namesake, Valerie Junior...

"I know...It's just..." I took a deep breath and steadied myself.

"she's resting now. well, an MRI is being ordered as we speak. But she went through a lot yesterday and they need her to be calm before we start any more testing."

she nodded and said "Of course...She's in the best capable hands, V."

"...I hope so." I looked up to her from the coffee I had been stirring.

She pursed her lips and thought for a second before asking "...want to change the subject?"

"Ugh yes please. It's the only thing I've been able to think about and its not helping kyra or me to be stressed out." I pushed my hair back.

"...how are things going with Mcdreamy 2.0?" she raised a brow with a knowing smile.

My heart fluttered slightly, remembering previous events....

Previous Chapter: What We Could Be.

I relaxed into his hold, as the kiss brought us together, his arm, slinking around me and pulling my closer as my hands moved to hold his cheeks, my body arching into his as we pressed against each other....

The soft...gentle, longing yet deep kiss....the kiss that I have wanted for so so long....

Now...

I smiled contently to myself, for the first time over the last 24 hours, but I was brought out of my bubble when Erica exclaimed "something happened!"

I shook my head and sat up "No! Well yes! kind of...." I sighed on my last words, realising there really was no point in trying to hide this from her.

She turned back from handing the babies some milk and raised a brow. "...did you...?"

"No! not that!" I laughed.

"so?"

"well..."

My attention was soon disturbed by none other than Ethan Ramsey, talking to another doctor by the exit...