Insomniacs And Temptations: AU1 Chapter 34

Valentine.

After what had been an extremely long and hard day, I found myself still wide awake. Maybe it's because my mind is scattered at the moment. Between everything going on in and out of the hospital, I seem to be so wide awake that it would be merely impossible to sleep.

I headed down the hall, seeing the warm glow of the lamp inside the diagnostics office. I knocked on the door which was replied with a murmur of "come in."

I pushed down on the handle and entered, Ethan sitting on the couch with his computer on his lap. When he acknowledged my arrival, a small smile appeared in which I returned.

"Good evening, Doctor Valentine." he nodded.

"Good evening, Doctor Ramsey." I said softly.

"...not tired?"

I shook my head. "Not in the slightest. Need some company?"

"...I wouldn't mind it."

I took my heels off and got on the couch, lifting his arm up and placing it around me as I rested my head on his chest.

He looked down to me as he stroked my hair and asked "Are you okay?"

"I think so...yeah..." I made myself comfortable and I felt him place a kiss on my crown, before he kept his arm around me, but stretched out to keep on typing.

"What are you up too?" I peered up to him, the screen reflected on the lenses of his glasses perched on his nose.

"Reading some medical articles..."

I smiled and said "That is the most 'Ethan Ramsey' thing you could have possibly said."

He smiled and looked back down to me "You're probably right."

I looked to the screen and said "The only reason why I was able to diagnose something as peculiar as Alien Hand Syndrome was because I found myself reading an article about it one night when I couldn't sleep."

"See, being sleep deprived can have its benefits."

I laughed and said "You're a doctor Ethan, that's the last thing you should be saying."

"To a patient, yes."

I rolled my eyes and said "Hm. I suppose. Since we're both going to be sleep deprived then, and it has these benefits..."

I knew he was rolling his eyes at that

"...Think you could help me further develop myself into a walking encyclopedia?" I sat up.

"Rookie, you've had a long day. Are you positive that you won't be able to sleep tonight?" He raised a brow, taking his glasses off.

"Absolutely 100 percent sure." I nodded.

He considered me a moment, before nodding.

"3 AM." He said as he got up.

"3AM?"

"That's when you'll fall asleep." He said over his shoulder, placing his computer on the desk.

"I'm so going to prove you wrong." I folded my arms.

"We'll see." He said, obviously unconvinced by my words.

Ethan

I'm doing this as her mentor.

Or so I'm trying to convince myself.

I have no other motives than just wanting to spend time with her and if in doing so I can help her become a better doctor, than I see no reason not to do it.