I'll Wait For You : AU1 Chapter 20

Valentine.

After a long day of balancing patients from Ines and Zaid, helping Esme and working the diagnostics team, it was finally time to go home. But, something made me want to go and check on a certain grumpy doctor who was still in his office, evident by the one lamp he would keep on to illuminate the whole office.

I knocked on the door and on the other side heard "come in."

I entered and he looked up from the couch where he was reading a medical journal, his glasses perched upon the bridge of his nose. His cautious smile hinted that he was happy with the company, although it disappeared as soon as it had arrived.

"*cough* Everything okay?" he raised his brow.

"Yeah. just thought I would come in and check on you." I leaned against the side of the closed door, folding my arms.

He smiled gently. "I'm fine, thank you. Is your shift over?" He asked as he took his reading glasses off and rose from the seat.

"Mmm. About 2 hours ago now.Yours?" I checked the time on my phone.

He nodded as he placed his journal on the desk before turning to me and leaning against it.

"Yeah. Just wanted to catch up on a few things. Are you dealing with the work load okay?"

I shrugged and sighed before moving myself to the couch.

"I suppose. I know what I signed myself up to. It's not the work load I guess...I'm worried about messing up."

"Valentine...If you make a mistake, you learn from it. You know that better than any doctor I've worked with. And I would hope as your mentor that I wouldn't let you doubt yourself, not even for a moment." he raised a brow.

I smiled and rested my head on palm. "Your saying that because you know your a good mentor."

"Am I wrong?" A small smirk played on his features.

"Okay okay point made. You are a good mentor...the best. I'm not just worried about failing myself or my patients, but you too."

"And so what if you do? I won't penalize you for making a mistake. That's how you learn. You're still young, Valentine, and got a lot of learning time left. You're balancing a lot more than any other second year resident." He said as he took his white coat off and went to place it on the back of his desk chair.

"I suppose..." I said as I got up.

"If I was worried about your progress and development, I would tell you. You're doing well." He said as he moved to lean against his desk once more.

I approached him and said "Thank you, Ethan."

He nodded and said "You may be a colossal pain in my ass, but none of the less my colossal pain in the ass. I'm still responsible for you to a degree."

I giggled and pushed my hair back.

"Touche."

I looked to him and our eye's lingered, his sky blue eyes, calm and soft compared to how stormy, dark and pain ridden they can be.

I stepped between his legs and placed my arms about his neck.

"Valentine..."

"I know..."

I hugged him and he wrapped his strong arms around me, resting my cheek against his, my chin on his shoulder and his on my mine. I played with the hair at the nape and placed a gentle kiss on his neck.