Pushed Apart: AU1 Chapter 16

Valentine

I walked down the halls of Edenbrook with a spring in my step and warmth in my heart. A case as had a somewhat positive outcome for once!

I caught Ethan in the corridor and said "I thought i'd give you the pleasure of signing Gwyneths release forms." I handed him the clipboard with a flourish.

"Don't mind if I do." He smiled as he took it from me.

My smile reflected his as he scrawled his signature across the page.

While we've had our disagreements, today is a good day. We managed to solve the apparently unsolvable case of an internet celebrity...

And Ethan Jonah Ramsey is smiling!

Our fingers brushed against each other and we held each others gaze as he handed it back to me, a small smile still playing upon our lips. In that moment it felt like we really understood each other...like no one knew each other better than we do...

Our attentions were brought around to a voice cutting through the calm atmosphere. The voice, although familiar, had urgency and some worry littered through it's tone, making any remnants of a smile fade away...

"Ethan, do you have a moment? the board of directors would like a word." Naveen said, looking solemn.

"The board? what do they want?" Ethan raised a brow.

Naveen gulped slightly. i'm guessing he knew what Ethan's reaction would be to the situation.

"In the light of the budget...short fall...they've decided the team will shift it's primary focus to high profile patients to pay for our charitable work."

Ethan's jaw became tight and he simply uttered "No."

"The last case was a huge success for you and the hospital. They say it could help Edenbrook, Ethan-"

"No. I'm not going to do that your legacy, I'll tell them I quit." He furrowed his brow, an all too recently familiar look appearing on his face.

Disappointment.

Anger.

Upset.

"Who would that help? Come now, Ethan." Naveen started to walk and Ethan hesitated before reluctantly following, like a child after his father.

"Ethan, I -"

He glanced at me all too quickly. So quickly, I couldn't search his eyes for a sense of accusation...

He brushed past me, not saying a word as I watched him go into the conference room...

Later, I paced the diagnostics office, June and Baz seated at the table as I nervously chewed my lip.

"Bite any harder or you'll draw blood."

Ethan's words swirled in my head.

But it caused me to bite harder.

Maybe he was right...maybe if I push something long enough... or 'bite' long enough...

I'll draw blood...

Although, I have to remember that this was for the benefit of the hospital. Ethan has made it clear that we have to keep our thoughts on the job and let no emotions towards each other influence our decisions. .

"Look,everything will be okay! Whats the worst that could happen?" Baz said.

"Ethan is going to be so angry. I can see it now..." I shook my head, my gaze focused on my steps.