Falling For You: AU1 Chapter 4

I peered up to Ethan in the mirror and watched his eyes.

I can tell now.

I can tell when he's not okay.

And I know for a fact that this problem with Edenbrooks financial status is taking a toll on him.

But I'm going to be here for him every step of the way. and right now, I'm going to try and help take his mind off it.

"So how often do you get to go to patients homes?" I gave a small smile as I turned to him in my seat.

"More often than you'd think. It's sometimes necessary and in a case like this, I think it's definitely necessary. and important." He nodded.

"Thank you for letting me come with you. I know you probably would have benefitted from having someone more experienced than I am."

"That's the exact reason why I brought you. You'll learn a lot from this."

"...Is that the sole reason?" I smiled and tilted my head slightly.

He sighed and said "Rookie..."

"Ethan..."

He smiled gently and relaxed his shoulders, still watching the road. "I...would rather put up with your companionship than anybody else. there you go."

"Wow, hold back with the compliments Ethan!" I sighed dramatically and slouched in my seat, placing the back of my hand to my forehead.

"You're ridiculous." I saw him try to hide a smirk as he gently shook his head.

"Oh it's one of my most likeable qualities. Next to being a colossal pain in the ass." I smiled to him in the mirror as we came to what I'm guessing is Lamar's house.

"Never said it was likeable." He said as he brought the car to a stop.

I giggled and said "Aw that face tells me all I need to know." I let my head rest against the seat as he faced me.

I couldn't help myself. I gently held his chin and brushed my thumb just below his lip.

He didn't pull away, but rather placed his hand on my wrist and touched my palm with his fingers.

"You're making this really hard rookie..." He closed his eyes and sighed as I moved my hand to stroke his face.

"Hm...so are you..." I said with a gentle smile.

He turned into my touch and kissed my palm, opening his eyes and linked his hand with mine.

"We'll be okay..."

"...I know...." I brought our hands up to my lips and kissed the back of his hand.

After a moment, we got out and looked up at the big house by the bay.

"Wow...It's..."

"Massive. We won't have enough time to look everywhere." Ethan said.

"I was going to say beautiful. But yeah. Sure. Massive works too." I shrugged as I walked faster to catch up to him.

"It's important to notice the size of where your visiting. But I suppose taking in its aesthetics isn't so bad either." A smile played upon his lips as he unlocked the door.

"Of course you can't just say 'Yes Valentine, it is beautiful' could you?" I laughed as we went in.

"Never."

As we paced about I asked "Got any tips?"

"Put yourself into the mind of the patient. The patients family...but yourself in their shoes and go bout what you think their day to day life would be like."