Love On The Brain: AU1 Chapter 8

After yesterdays case, I'm pretty much prepared for anything that could possibly happen to me today.

I hope I actually am....but I don't know. Ethan thinks I am...so I'm going to prove him right. Since I'm generally used to proving him wrong.

It's 6 AM and I'm already on my way to Edenbrooke. I didn't sleep much so I thought I should make some use of my time rather than tossing and turning.

I stepped into the changing room to get into my clothes for the day since I had the time to fully wake myself on the way over here instead of getting dressed half asleep.

After doing so, I walked through the virtually empty hospital and to my surprise I heard "Doctor Valentine?"

I looked up from my notes and saw Doctor Ramsey coming from the direction I was going in.

"Good morning Doctor Ramsey. You're here early." I gave a smile as I placed it in my pager in my pocket.

"I couldn't sleep. Better to be here doing some use than not." He shrugged.

"Your right. Exactly why I thought it was worth the risk of getting on a sketchy metro at 5:35 this morning."

He raised his brow slightly and said "Now that's just foolish."

I smiled as started to walk past him, hugging my folder to my chest.

"Are you worried about my well being?" I glanced at him over my shoulder.

"You wouldn't help the hospital by being admitted here after being attacked would you." He smirked before heading off in his own direction.

"Ha. very funny Ethan." I rolled my eyes as I walked away.

"I don't do funny." I heard him call out.

"Whatever you say." I said in the same tone, smiling to myself as I watched the floor.

"...She's good. Really good. And motivated. I think she needs some guidance and a bit more confidence but I'm not worried about her at all. Zaid, however, may need some more convincing." I explained to Ines about Esme.

She laughed gently and said, "I'm sure Zaid chewed out every intern yesterday so I hope Doctor Ortega didn't take it too seriously."

"No, I don't think she did. I gave her a little heads up on him though." I smiled and Ines smiled back, nodding with understanding.

"Now, I must ask, how has it been working for the diagnostics team and doing your junior fellowship?" She clasped her hands together.

"Challenging. But Doctor Mirani, Hiritia and Ramsey have been nothing but supportive and guiding me to the best I can. It's been easy to settle in."

"Yes, Ethan has spoken well of you to me, Harper and Naveen, so I would consider yourself in good graces!" She beamed.

"If Doctor Ramsey is speaking well of me, I must be doing something right."

We both laughed and she said "Well, thank you for coming by Doctor Valentine. If you do need anything, don't hesitate to come and speak to me. I'm sure Doctor Banjeri will also be happy to speak to you if need be,"

"Thank you Ines, I'll be sure to stop by later after seeing Doctor Ramsey, I think he's paged me." I said as I rose.

"Of course. See you later!"

Ines Delerosa really is a ray of sunshine.

I went upstairs to the diagnostics office where Ethan had paged me to meet him. I knocked on the door before walking in and said "Doctor Ramsey?"