The Impossible Ultimatum: AU1 Chapter 43

Ethan

After driving V back to her apartment, I parked a good distance away, and turned off the engine, allowing a comfortable silence to settle over the both of us.

After tonight, I think there is a realisation that we've both had.

And that is, no matter how we try to convince ourselves otherwise,

we do have something between us, something much more than longing glances.

and no amount of delaying is going to change that.

"So are we..." V looked to me, asking if we were together at this point or not.

"...I think so." I looked back to her.

"...Me too." she said softly.

"What does that mean, Valentine?" I raised a brow.

she shook her head and slumped in her seat. "I'm not sure....Im really not sure."

I nodded and turned to her. "As you said, it doesn't have to mean anything...not yet. Not until we help the hospital and Kyra. I don't want the extra thought in your head."

"Well that's the issue, Ethan." She looked back to me.

"It will be in my head. and I will think about it more than I would ever want anyone to know..."

"V...." I sighed.

It shouldn't have been too much of a surprise when she leaned in and before my mind had time to register, she pressed her lips to mine... Si with instinct, I returned her touch. A touch I've been starved from, from the very last moment we kissed, even if it was not so long ago- every moment is a moment far too long...

As the kiss deepened, I grabbed her waist, and I pulled her over to me, not breaking the kiss while she moved to straddle my lap, cupping my cheeks to deepen the affection...

"Ethan..." She murmured softly as her curls fell over her face.

Every moment, held a sadness, but also a need. A need to be in eachothers hold for longer than we can be. A sadness that knew every moment was a moment closer to leaving and going back to uncertainty...

"Valerie..." I slowly and softly kissed down her neck, her head lolling back as gentle gasps escaped her lips...

After a moment, our lips found eachother again, teasingly brushing another, before retreating, and locking together once more. My hold on her became firmer as it slowed...and slowed....her hand moving down my cheek to place itself flat against my chest, as if to ground her- her hips slowly moving against me, bringing a groan from the both of us...

And after a long, blissful moment, we parted, our breath mingling in the short space between us....

I dusted her red lip with my thumb and said "...you asked me before if I would ever hurt you..."

"and you said you wouldn't...."

"...I want you to remember that, Rookie..."

She nodded and said "Okay..."

I placed a gentle kiss to her cheek and she stroked my hair back.

"Goodnight, Ethan."

"Goodnight, Valerie..."

She placed a hand on my cheek before climbing back over to her seat to go, and the second she left, the car was an unusual cold that replaced her warmth.