A Little Distraction: AU1 Chapter 40

Valentine

Ethan and I entered the vast Mass Kenmore hospital atrium. Something about wearing a Mass Kenmore coat feels wrong, like im betraying Edenbrook....but its for the greater good. And the fact this coat hangs off of me is no fun either, but I won't complain because its better than walking in here without the the disguise...

Ethan looked down to me and said "How did you convince me to do this again?"

"Art of persuasion, doctor Ramsey." I smiled.

"but the thing is, Valentine, you hardly persuaded me."

"...well then, it's simply because you cannot resist my charms." I said softly.

A flash of desire flickered across his expression, before we found ourselves getting closer to the reception desk.

"*cough* keep on going, I'll be right behind you." He said.

I nodded and tried to keep a poker face as I started to walk closer and closer to where security was.

Ethan

I approached the desk, V splitting off from me without a side glance as I showed the security my 'privileges'. "Doctor Ethan Ramsey, Im here on research purposes."

He read over it, before looking up and nodded. "Alright, thank you, Doctor Ramsey, but you Ma'am! ID Please-"

He looked to his side as V walked past.

Valentine

Crap.

"She's with me, obviously." Ethan furrowed his brow at the man.

"I;m Sorry, Doctor Ramsey, but everyone must be accounted for and signed in."

"Very well , I need a resident on hand for notes. search under Joan Smith."

"Joan Smith?" he turned to me, as if questioning my 'identity.

"Yep. That's me." I put an award winning smile on a rocked back and forth on my heels, shooting Ethan a glance as the lobby attendant looked through the data base.

"Ah yes, here we are Joan Smith, first year resident. My apologies, doctor smith."

I sighed quietly and Ethan said "Thank you."

As we continued on our way, I looked up to him and said "How could you have possibly known that?"

"I'm a diagnostician, Valerie, observation is my job."

I smiled and shook my head, mildly impressed as we continued our way down the hall.

Ethan

I would be lying if I said my heart didn't get caught in my throat for a moment there, but it's true, I have my ways of knowing things, and luckily for V, that just gave us access to the whole of Mass Kenmore. While this most certainly the last thing I would have thought I would be doing today- or any day for that matter, for the first time in nearly three days, Valerie is smiling. She's distracted at the moment, but when it comes down to having to face the reality of her parents and Kyra- I'll be here to help her through that to the best of my capability.

"How are you holding up today?" I asked as we made ourselves through the wing.

"good. I got sleep, im spending time with my favourite doctor and being a badass sneaking into MK, what more could a girl want?" she looked up to me with a raised a brow.

"V..."

"..I know Ethan. Im okay. For now at least...but right now edenbrook needs us."

I nodded and said "Whatever you need Rookie."