Chapter Five

"Today is the day."

The last thing Yunho expected on Monday evening after receiving that ominous letter about joining an elite club was to see his best friend entering the forest surrounding the back of the campus at the same time as him.

Yunho clenches the letter in his jacket pocket, knowing that it said not to speak to anyone about it or else.

Or else.

The mysteriousness of it all was the thing that made Yunho shudder. The letter contained things about him and his family that not just anyone should know. It even mentioned his affinity for the boy he's now walking beside, both of them oddly silent, not wanting to chance either of their secrets getting out if it turned out that they weren't actually going to the same place.

Yunho glanced over at San, seeing his index finger and thumb rubbing together as they walked.

He was craving a cigarette, Yunho thought to himself.

"Did you get one too?" San eventually asked, deciding to risk it -- Yunho is his best friend, after all. In his head, he knew Yunho wouldn't speak a word even if he wasn't heading to the meeting spot that was referred to in his own letter.

Yunho might be a goody-two-shoes for his parents and some of the time for himself, but San knew if it put him at risk, Yunho wouldn't say anything. Yunho had a good heart.

Yunho's eyes widen when San finally breaks their awkward silence, nodding, "Thank goodness... I was so afraid, San."

"Of the club?" San asks, questioning his fear. Why would he be afraid of something that sounds so good? Promises of a successful and fulfilling future were probably enough for any college student like them to flock to without second thought -- or at least, it was for San.

If only they had stopped to think about the possible downsides.

"Of going in alone," Yunho mumbles, realizing how childish he sounds after it leaves his lips. He didn't like to do anything alone, since all of his life, he never had to. He always had San by his side, or his parents looking after him, so his apprehension of actually showing up to this 'Twilight' meeting was justifiable.

San chuckles and throws his arm around Yunho, falling into their normal routine after that strange bout of awkwardness, "Oh, Yun... You know as long as you have me, you'll never be alone!" He smiles brightly up at his tall best friend, his dimples leaving big indents in his cheeks.

A blush rises on Yunho's cheeks as he sees San smiling up at him like that, his arm around him not helping in the slightest, "Hush... I still was going to go, wasn't I?"

San shrugs as they walk further and further into the deep forest, "But the real question is -- Would you have made it all the way?"