Chapter Fourteen

Mingi slides his uniform shorts onto his fit body, eyeing Seonghwa beside him who's already dressed and ready to go on the field.

"I'm going to be counting on you to play off of me, alright, Song?" Seonghwa rests back against the lockers as he discusses his game plans with, who he now refers to as, the best player other than himself. Every practice they've had, Mingi has impressed Seonghwa even further.

"You can count on me," Mingi mumbles as he pulls his shirt over his head, tucking it into his shorts snuggly, "Are we planning anything special for this game?" He wonders, wanting to know if Seonghwa said that aloud for a certain reason, since Mingi always just assumed he would be playing off of Seonghwa anyway. Their play dynamic matches well together, and they end up doing it anyway without and words being exchanged like this.

Seonghwa nods once, seeing that majority of the other boys are huddled up together talking about who-knows-what, so his voice turns quieter, "I got a tip from Twilight alumni that there's going to be a national recruiter there tonight," He says smoothly, "While I won't be able to accept any offers, I know you'd be able to," He winks when he sees Mingi look up to him, "What? Did you already get word from your father?"

Mingi's eyes widen slightly, always being impressed with the knowledge Seonghwa possesses surrounding his life. He knows it must be the same for the others and that Hongjoong and Seulgi must know the same information, but it doesn't make it any less unsettling.

"He hadn't mentioned anything..." Mingi mumbles, sitting down to tie his laces tightly before he double knots them, "I've had national eyes on me since I was young," he sighs.

"Of course, but they can't offer you anything just because your father is a big sponsor," Seonghwa chuckles, "His money can only get you so far before your pure skills and abilities must kick in, as I'm sure you know."

Mingi rests back on his hands, looking up at a still-standing Seonghwa, "I'm sure you know that it's never been about my father's money."

Seonghwa's smirk returns easily and he winks once again, "Money could never buy raw potential, Mingi. Once that recruiter can jot down your performance and take it back to the national team's council, you'll be a shoo-in after you graduate. It'll be the easiest ride of your life."

"I don't know..." Mingi murmurs, having thought about it extensively over the years of his father pestering him about it. He hates the clouded insecurity of his future he's plagued himself with. Seonghwa's right. It could be so easy for him, yet here he is still unsure about his future and what he could do.

Being a national player could secure his financial future, sure, but does Mingi want that? He just doesn't know.

Everyone's always told him how easy it can be for him, but is it really that easy?

He could belong to the national team, find belonging in it, but is that really what he wants to do for the rest of his life...?

Being a floater has always caused his mind so much unnecessary stress and he wants to talk to someone about it, he wants someone to understand how he's feeling even if they just pretend to.