Chapter 44

Lucy woke up disoriented, her skull threatening to split open.

Groaning, she sat up and surveyed her surroundings, she was in her bedroom.

"Lu?" Someone moved besides her, "you're awake."

"Mmm," Lucy breathed, slowly turning onto her side, "what happened?"

Sawyer propped himself up on his elbow and pushed a strand of her hair out of her face, "go back to sleep," he whispered, "I'll tell you later."

"Promise," Lucy breathed, settling back down on her pillow.

"Promise," Sawyer whispered, but the redhead was already asleep.

>•<

"She should go to Saint. Mungo's."

The next time Lucy woke, she was no longer in her bed at the Hogsheads. She was in the crisp, white, Hospital Wing.

"She can't," Dumbledore was talking to Madam Pomfrey at the foot of Lucy's bed.

"Why not?" Madam Pomfrey glared at the headmaster, "she needs advanced care that I cannot administer in this facility."

The fluorescent lights made Lucy squint as she used the sides of the bed to lift her torso up.

"Ms. Evans!" Madam Pomfrey immediately rushed to her side, supporting her with one hand under her arm while she arranged pillows behind her back, "how're you feeling? Pains? Dizzy?"

"My head," Lucy's voice came out rough and scratchy.

"Alright, dear," Madam Pomfrey pressed the back of her hand to Lucy's forehead, "hold on for just one second."

She rushed to her cabinet and came back a moment latter with a large glass of water and various potions.

"Here you go, drink up."

Lucy couldn't help but make a sour face at the taste of the first potion.

When she was done, she set the glass on her side table and looked up at Albus.

"Where's Abe?"

"He's sorting a couple of things out," Albus replied, "he should be here soon."

"Is everyone ok?" Lucy asked anxiously.

"You're friends are alright," Albus smiled, "they've been camping outside the Hospital wing, waiting to come see you."

"Can I see them?" Lucy asked.

"In time," Albus pulled up a chair to sit beside her bed, "tell me, do you recall what happened at the Ministry?"

Lucy tried to think back to the night at the Ministry but her memory was fuzzy.

"Not really," Lucy frowned.

"It'll come back in time," Albus reassured her, "you see, Lucille, there is an object in the Department of Mysteries called the veil, the veil is the barrier between our world and the afterlife."

Lucy nodded, unsure of the reasoning behind him telling her this.

"When someone goes in the veil, they cease to exist in this world," Dumbledore explained.

"They die," Lucy said simply.

"Well, yes," Albus's eyes widened at her.

"Just say they die then," Lucy huffed.

The door of the hospital wing burst open and Lucy's friends came barreling towards her bed.

"Lucy!" Ginny let out a cry of relief, running over to embrace her, "don't ever scare us like that again!"