Golden dust part 2 (finale)

Nobody seemed to understand what was going on. Even though Merlin was pretty sure that saying: "I am Emrys. And I was reborn to serve you" was enough of an explanation, Arthur didn't seem to get it.

Instead, Arthur ordered George to clean everything up.

Not to interrupt the plot, but - Merlin was actually ecstatic to see George. Because the man just genuinely didn't have magic.
It was fantastic. Such raw talent. For the first time since Merlin knew the servant, he marveled at the sight of such a pure soul. A man who just did his job perfectly to this extend, because he seriously loved his job. Because he was genuinely good at it.

Merlin smiled upon watching him.
Which in turn, freaked Arthur out. Because Merlin never smiled at George. Frown, yes. Watch him with caution, maybe. But smile? That's like saying Arthur was gonna go vegan for three days.
Like....instead of deer, he was hunting bread sticks. And let's be honest. Anything beyond three days would be a bit of a stretch. **

With the help of a few knights, and magic performed by sorcerers, the round table was sat back into the middle of the room, so everyone could sit down.
Merlin just watched. He didn't flinch at the sight of magic, which made Arthur's worry grow even further. After all, the lights in Merlin's eyes had died out, right? Shouldn't he be back to normal?
Then they all sat down.
All except for Merlin.

"Merlin.", Arthur's voice wavered, as he tried to figure out if Merlin was truly Merlin. Or if he was still possessed by Emrys. "Emrys?"
Merlin turned to him either way. His gaze calm. For once not worried anymore. He knew magic again. He knew himself again. He knew what he could do. He had been the most powerful warlock on earth only minutes ago. Now he was far beyond that.

If he needed to, he could take magic away from sorcerers now. He didn't need to kill anymore.
"Sit down?" Arthur asked uncertainly.
Merlin nodded. Then he walked towards the opposite side of the round table.
The other knights kept their distance in awe, while Arthur's gaze was fixed on his servant.
His servant who, pointedly not afraid of anything anymore, waved his hand and an extra chair appeared out of nowhere. Then Merlin sat down among sudden silence.
All the chatter that the knights had so slowly regained, gone, within an instance.

"What .... what just happened?", Arthur asked. But the question wasn't directed at Merlin.
"He just -", Arthur fared.
"Is Emrys still here? Is that still ... What's happening to Merlin? What's going on?", Arthur's voice was now full on shaking.

Merlin blinked. Sir Galahad, who sat right next to his king, was trembling as well. But his voice was more certain. "Your majesty -", he began, his eyes flicking from Arthur to Merlin.
"I believe ... Emrys has chosen to be reborn as your manservant. That is what he said. And Emrys never lies."

Arthur's eyes widened comically and his shoulders slumped.
"Then.... will Merlin ever come back? Where is he now? Will Emrys stay forever?", he sounded weak now. Defeated. Unable to process what was actually happening. He was too set in his own explanation to see the real picture.

They talked about Merlin like wasn't there. But Merlin could understand this. He felt Arthur's soul after all. And Arthur was mourning the loss of Merlin. Which made sense.... in a way.
In a wrong way. Because Merlin wasn't gone at all.
"How do we get Merlin back?", Arthur added seriously after a few moments.

The surrounding knights stared at him as though he had lost his mind.
"You want to get rid of Emrys?", Sir Galahad asked exasperated. Whispered, as though he wanted to make sure Merlin couldn't hear them.
Arthur stared at Merlin. Who was listening calmly, but still marveling at the new revelation that was his soul connection to everything and everyone.