Chapter 22

(Monica Pov)

My legs ached from walking and my exposed arms cold from the night's breeze. The moon gleamed on the earth that surrounded us,fireflies danced in the air like a couple at a ball, crickets chirp the night away, and once in a while headlights lite the road and Gilbert will put his thumb up. We waited at the car for about an hour then we started to walked the nearest city with only the signs,that were barley readable due to the darkest, to give us direction.

I stop trying to kept track of the time after about thirty minutes in. I could see headlights in the road and Gilbert raised his thumb up, like how the routine went. I slapped his back slightly, not risking going with strangers, that was also part of the routine.

"Why can't we hitchhike?" Gilbert asked, as we started to walk again.

"That's dangerous." I exclaimed as I covered myself up with me arms again.

"My legs hurt." He whined, stomping his feet on the gravel, making the dust twirl in the air.

"I'm hungry!" He yelled. He rubbed his stomach.

"Me too, hurry up we'll get there sooner."

"What exactly is 'there'?" He asked.

"One sigh said 'Coralville one mile away."

"When?"

"You don't remember? You were the one that pointed it out."

"Oh god, Monica, I going crazy here in the wilderness!" He yelled, causing birds to fly away from the trees next to us.

__

"Civilization!" Gilbert screamed once he saw the McDonald's sigh.

"Thank god." I exclaimed, happy the see a place with food.

"It feels like forever since I've see you!" He ran closer to the restaurant but he stopped a few seconds after, too tried to run but too hungry to walk.

I walked by him as he jogged to the restaurant. My stomach growled and my mouth watered. I smiled while I got closer to the building. Gilbert ran in front of my to the place like a wild person. I opened to door to feel a warm air hit me and a delicious scent followed it. Gilbert was staring, excitedly at the kid's meals toys set up for display.

The restaurant was empty beside us, workers, and a family that look like they were on vacation. I quickly walked to the bathroom, too embarrassed to pee in front of Gilbert when we were on the side of the road, but he was fine with it though. It took awhile for my eyes to adjust to the bathroom light. A clock hung on the wall.

'12:34'

I breath in heavily trying to think of ideas on what to do. We could rent a hotel room for the night and use to telephone in the morning and ask for help. I knew we could just ask for a telephone but I was much too exhausted and I really needed seem rest.

__

"Hello ma'am, we are looking for a room." I said to the women.

"One bed?" She asked in a chirpy voice .

"Two." I replied my voice tried and soar.

"How many night?"

"One."

"$110!" She cheered. Her smiled was way to big.

I looked over at Gilbert. I felt bad for not having enough money. He shook his head.

"How about one bed?" He asked, catching me off guard.

"$80!" She sang.

He dug through his pockets and pulled out a $50 dollar bill. He gave it to her while I dug through my pockets. Luckily, I had two ten and two fives.

We walk through the halls looking for our room. The walls were an ugly green color and the carpet was decorated with different swirls, which had a layer was dirt on it. Serves us right for going to a motel. The lights flicker as we made it to our bedroom. Both of us were to tired to say anything.

The bedroom was as ugly as the halls, still the same green color and the dirt filled carpet. The bed had reddish blankets and brown pillows. Disgusting.

Gilbert flopped on the bed, obliviously having no problem with the smell of the place. He groaned as he rolled around on it.

"Hurry up and turn off the lights." He groaned as he ripped his shirt off and threw it on the ground. I picked it up and put it on a chair, I never trusted motel carpet.

Then I remember, we have to share a bed. The other two times we shared a bed was on accident, but now I have to sleep in a probably uncomfortable bed with my professor. He got under the blankets and closed his eyes shut. I slowly walked over to the bed and lied on the blankets. I was on the way end and was about to fall off. I didn't want to be under the blankets, despite how cold I was. I turned off the table lamp.

"You're going to fall off." Gilbert said. I couldn't read his expression with my back turned to him.

"I'm all right." I said, closing my eyes.

"Scoot over a bit," He said. I scooted over one inch.

"More."

Another inch.

He grabbed the back of my shirt and pulled me in the middle of my pillow. I could hear him breath. He sat up and pulled out the blanket from under me. He swung the bed on top of me so it was covering me up. He lied back down and turned to other way.

"I don't want you to be cold." He muttered.

I could feel my face go hot. This is so embarrassing. I shifted uncomfortable under the blankets. I took while to fell asleep, about 2:00, but I the darkness finally consumed me.