my baby's birthday

"Mr. Senator!" Questions were yelled out as Jack stood at his podium.

"Today is your daughter's birthday, is that correct?" His heart sake thinking about him being campaigning for another term and missing his daughter's very first birthday.

"It is, yes. She's a year old today." He smiled thinking of the last picture he had saw of his baby, who was beautiful of course.

"How is she these days Mr. Kennedy?" A reporter spoke up and looked to the father, who really couldn't answer. Jackie could, but from what he remembered from the last visit home, he spoke confidently.

"She's very smart, already talking up a storm. A momma's girl forsure, Jackie's starting to introduce her to piano, and she seems to be picking up fast. I really look forward to seeing both of them again." He stated not really going into any details.

And for the rest of the speech people crowded and shouted for the man of the hour. But immediately after he walked off and got into the car, he waited patiently for her to pick up.

"Hello?" Jackie picked up the phone watching Kit in the living room as she shoved the phone into her shoulder.

"Hey Kid, I just got off the podium, what's happening over there today?" He spoke being happy to finally hear her voice again.

"Well I think we're about to head over to mom's, you wanna go see grana?" She asked the little one and you could hear her excitement in the little giggles and screeches.

"She sounds excited" Jack laughed as Jackie smiled, looking up to see Kit standing by herself.

In other words, she was witnessing a very, very big milestone.

"OH MY GOD JACK, you'll never guess what she just did!" Jackie squealed into the phone jumping up in down with her baby that was now in her mother's arms.

"What! What'd she do?!" He immediately got excited, just with the excitement of his wife.

"She stood Jack!" Jackie said into the phone happily waiting for a response.

"That's amazing! I knew she could do it Kid, what I'd tell ya?!" He said excitingly, but quickly realizing the milestone he had just missed.

"I wish you were here." Jackie spoke, no more happiness in her voice, clearly.

"Me too Kid, you know I would be there beside you right now if I could be" His face dropped from a smile to a straight frown.

"Yea, you'll be here for her first steps though, I-I can feel it." Her voice broke and so did Jack's heart knowing his wife was so upset.

"I love you Jackie." Was all he could say to comfort her remotely. He was never good at the "comfort" thing.

"I love you too Jack, I- I gotta go get Kit dressed I'll talk to you sometime." She didn't wanna hang up, knowing it would be so long before he would pick up again, but also didn't want her husband to hear her cry.

"Bye Jackie." He spoke before an abrupt end to the conversation.

For awhile he thought in the backseat of the car, just about everything. His wife, their engagement, their wedding, the vows he took to her, Kitty, her problems, yet her entire personality, his career, what was in store for it. But as they entered the interstate, he got straight with himself, the Senator looked to his driver and quickly said confidently,

"Head east towards Georgetown, it's my baby's birthday."