can i hold her?

"I love you mommy" Ran wild in the mother's brain as she sat next to her five year old daughter's hospital bed.

It had been almost two days since she had said that to her mother, the last time she had said anything in general. Jackie had too much time to think and these thoughts where the result. It seemed like every time she had time alone, she broke down.

Jack hurried back up and into the room after getting lunch, knowing the circumstances of his wife being alone.

The two's eyes met as Kit's moniters started to go crazy. Jackie's head immediately went to the many machines & screens from her husband, but back down to her daughter soon after.

"Kit? Kit, mommy is here baby. It's okay, it's okay!" She tried to touch her as she began to scream.

"Mommy! Mommy! Make it stop, PLEASE! Please make it stop!" She screamed scratching at her legs and sobbing loudly.

"No, no Kit don't touch!" Jackie tried to get her hands away from the tubes that came from her legs.

"Mommy help me! Please mommy!" Tears came to the mother's eyes as nurses rushed in to help.

"Wait." She stopped them abruptly before pushing more pain medicine.

"Mrs. Kennedy.." The 5 year old continued to scream and scream, but they could not touch her if Jackie said otherwise.

"Can I hold her?"

"Mrs. Kennedy.." They said once again, not super into the idea, making Jackie question herself.

"She's light, I- I've been holding her since the day she was born for hours on end. It'll work. Please, just let me hold my baby." She begged while her daughter screamed bloody murder, and of course the nurses started to get everything situated.

As they gave her the okay she bent down to the bed.

"Alright, up we go" She picked her up slowly and let nurses put things back on her. Quickly they situated the machines around the open space in her room as Jackie walked back and forth.

"Jack hand me her blanket" She tried to be quiet pointing to the knit one, "blankie", she had had since birth.

Gently he covered up his daughter and sat down near his pacing wife, he wanted to be there too, but he knew he didn't have Jackie's magic touch.

Sure enough, as Jackie said, the floor went silent soon after.

"We just need mommy sometimes, right?" She whispered into Kit's ear getting a slight nod out of her, knowing that most likely she was on her way to sleep.

And as midnight approached a nurse came back in only to see Jackie still walking with her baby in her arms.

"She's asleep right?" The mother laughed toward the nurse looking to the sleeping Jack in the chair that was close by.

"Oh yes ma'am" She nodded in completely disbelief.

"I- I knew mother's love "fixed everything" but I never actually seen it work like this before." She looked to Jackie smiling.

"My Kit is my baby. Always has been, always will be, I would be lost without her." She swayed as the nurse prepped her bed again.

"Will you sleep with her ma'am?" She asked, basically knowing the answer.

"Tonight, yes, thank you Maria" Jackie said looking at the women's nametag.

Of course the nurse beamed as she walked out of the room, a senator's wife, the senator's wife, just actually called her her real name, it seemed like an honor.

Slowly Jackie got everything ready and laid down gently pulling up the covers and turning off the lights as the clock in the room hit 12:26 AM. It was good timing for the past couple of nights, hopes of if she stayed in the bed, Kit would sleep a whole night.

She kissed her baby's forehead and gently said an "I love you" before drifting off into sleep.