a hard choice | extra

It's hard to imagine that just a week ago, 13 year old daughter of President Kennedy passed away. Today we mourn the lose of an extraordinary life, that was cut way too short.

We watched Kathleen Kennedy grow up in the public eye and at first sight, fell in love with the girl who was known as "America's Sweet Teen". Today, few reporters captured the large funeral service for the girl, known as Kit.

That's right Allyson, The Kennedy's asked that it be solely for the people and for their families, her burial being completely private.

Me and a couple other stations got the permission to shoot and take photos today, and I might say, that the service was absolutely beautiful. You felt that you knew the girl when you walked in.

The parents and family wore red ribbons in honor of their loved one, which I thought was a delicate touch that was very thought out.

When you walked into the chapel you were met with a program and were told were to sit. The small white casket sat in the center of the room, open, but blocked off, Kit's purple barred wheelchair being near, empty, surrounded by pictures of her as well as bouquets and bouquets of flowers. The parents sat in chairs, The First lady being closer to the open casket.

Service dog, Clipper sat right below his partner's head on the stand.

Every once in awhile Jackie would stand and go to her daughter, fixing her hair or adjusting her dress, these little moments were very, very hard to capture.

As the service began the Kennedy's priest spoke of the girl before two of her aunts, her mother, and her bestfriend got the chance to speak. Mr. President's oldest sister, Rosemary Kennedy, spoke about her "K" very fondly, telling of the two's very special bond as Kit was and I quote, "a rosie's girl". Lee Radziwill came next, giving her grievances to her older sister, talking about the many vacations and the feeling of finally being an aunt when Kathleen was born.

Then we had Mateo Landyn. The 14 year old proceeded in such a sentimental way, clearing the rumors of the boy's proposal in Kathleen's last days, as her final wish. And of course, The First Lady approached with complete poise and spoke from her heart about what it was like living life and raising her daughter, I picked one quote from her speech to share with the world on what her daughter told her in her last moments.

"I held Kit close and for the first time in almost a week, she spoke to me clearly and said, "Mommy, my life could've been really hard, but at an early age, I decided to make it the best it could be. You have a decision to make, and I hope when you look to the stars at night, you see the right one"

I really think this teen was right, and quite frankly, wise beyond her short lifetime. We all have to choose our happiness and our futures before we can go after them.

From everybody here at the Georgetown Station, we sincerely send our condolences and prayers to the President and First Lady, as well as the family as they grieve the amazing, amazing life that was Kathleen Rose Kennedy.