Ch. 7 - Alec Daniels

"SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?" Madison asked me as I opened my locker

"A slumber party sounds fun. Plus it might help me remember things about you guys," I answered, putting my books in the locker.

"Yay! Saturday night can't come fast enough!" Madison exclaimed with a tiny clap.

"Are you still volunteering at the hospital this afternoon?" Nichole asked me, leaning against the row of lockers.

I nodded,"Yeah. Lisa said I used to love it, and I love kids."

"I hope you have fun," Jordan told me.

"Thanks," I thanked her as my phone chimed. I looked at the device to see Lisa texted me.

Outside waiting. -Mom

"I gotta go. My ride is out front, but I'll see you guys tomorrow," I said, sliding my phone back into my pocket.

"Bye, Campbell," they said as I shut my locker.

I walked out of the double doors, and I recognized Lisa's car parked at the curb. I walked over to the vehicle, and I opened the door.

Throwing my bag in the floorboard, I climbed into the car, shutting the door behind me. Lisa gave me a smile when she saw me.

"How was school?" She asked me as I buckled my seatbelt.

"It was good."

My day was fine, but every since lunch yesterday I haven't spoken to Brent. He is hidden something from me, but he won't tell me. I think they are all hiding something from me.

"Ross will be at the hospital if you need anything, and you will ride home with him around 5:30. At the time, the boys should be arriving home, too," Lisa informed me as she drove away from the school.

"The girls are wanting a slumber party Saturday night. Can they come?" I asked her, keeping my eyes on my hands.

"Of course. The girls are always welcomed at the house," Lisa responded, surprising me.

I thought for sure she would say no. I was never allowed to have slumber parties or have friends over at Malcom's house.

"Awesome," I said, looking out the window. I wasn't feeling talkative right now.

Thirty minutes later, Lisa parked into the hospital parking lot. She stopped the engine, and I unbuckled my seatbelt.

"I'll see you later, I guess," I said, opening my car door.

"See ya later. Have fun. Love you," Lisa said as I stepped out in the cold air.

I gave her a tight smile before shutting the door. I put my hands in my jacket to keep them from freezing to death as I made my way to the hospital's entrance.