Ch. 37 - Soulmates

"I'M CONFUSED

"I'M CONFUSED. Alec is the son of Malcom, and the cops think he killed Peyton and is trying to kill you?" Madison asked, rubbing her temple.

"Yes. They also think it could be Dean because Peyton dumped him two months before her death. Then there is the fact that he was at the hospital when I was pushed down the stairs," I explained, rubbing my hands together.

"So what happens now?" Anna asked, worriedly.

"I will go to school, but other than that I'm not allowed to leave the house. Also there will be cops everywhere," I said with a shrug.

"This is crazy," Jordan said, making me nod in agreement.

"Has anybody spoken to Maya? She seemed pretty upset when we told her," I asked the girls.

"No. She hasn't came down since you guys arrived yesterday," Hailey said with a shake of her head.

"I'm going to go up and talk to her," I said as I stood up from the couch.

They nodded, and I walked upstairs. When I arrived at Maya's door, I softly knocked on it. I heard a quiet come in, and I pushed the door open.

Maya was in her bed, and her hair was pulled into a messy bun. She was dressed in Nike shorts and a white hoodie.

She even had her glasses on which she rarely wears.

Maya was watching a tv show, and she paused it when I came in.

"What's up?" Maya asked, pushing her glasses up on her nose.

"I'm just checking on you. You haven't really been downstairs since we arrived yesterday," I said, sitting on the end of her bed.

She looked down at her hands. "I'm fine. I'm just tired."

"Maya-...." I started, but she cut me off.

"I should've went with him," Maya's voice said, softly, as her lip trembled.

"What?" I asked her, confused.

She looked up at me. "That day in the hospital. Alec said he left his keys. I was going to go with him, but I changed my mind last second. If I would have went with him, you would have been perfectly fine."

I grabbed her hand, giving it a squeeze. "Maya, that is not your fault."

A tear slide down Maya's cheek,"I just can't believe he would do something like that. He might drive me absolutely crazy, but he was really sweet and thoughtful. I mean, hell, he helped me through a panic attack."

My eyebrows furrowed together at this new information. "Are you okay? When did you have a panic attack?"

"A week before I went home. I went to the next town over to adventure around. I stopped at this cute little coffee shop, and it turns out that Alec worked there. We bickered back and forth,  and after ten minutes, he finally put my order in.