Day

The following morning, Chan awoke with the most broad smile on his face. He was so proud of himself for making a new friend in this new and peculiar country. And it seemed to him that the boy he met wasn't from here either which made it ten times better. Perhaps, he thought, they were from the same place!

After he pestered his mum to let him outside once he was cleaned up for the day, Chan sprinted to the strange tree by the river he had met the boy by the name of Felix at the previous day. It filled him with excitement to hopefully meet him again there.

And the smile that burst onto his face when he saw him there was certainly proof of that.

"Felix!" He shouted as he ran over, skidding to a halt in front of him.

"Hi Chan!" Felix greeted back, a big smile on his face also.

"Oh!" Chan gasped. "I was wondering..."

"Mhmm."

"Where are you from?" He asked, the very question that had been on his lips since he woke.

"Oh, I'm from Australia." Felix replied.

"Me too!"

"Really?!"

"Yeah!"

The two boys chatteted for what seemed like hours. In that time, Chan and Felix learnt more about one another. Chan learnt he was older that Felix by a bit, he was 8 and Felix was 5. It made him find his new friend very small and cute, someone he wanted to protect from all harm and at all costs. In fact he felt like a strong big brother.

"Do you have other names?" Felix asked sweetly. The more Chan listened to Felix talk, the more he thought his voice was reminiscent of the honey his mum put on pancakes and he decided there and then he liked it lots.

"Yeah, I'm also called Christopher!" Chan spoke. "That's my birth name."

"Oh, wow..." Felix responded. "That's such a cool name! My birth name is Felix but my Korean name is Yongbok... I don't like it too much..." The boy began to pout.

"I'll just call you Felix then if you don't like your other name!"

They both smiled at one another and found themselves chattering together for a little longer about more nonesensical things that young boys find to be absolutely fascinating.

However, it was not long before they were needed to go back home. The two got up from the spots they had taken up under the tree and stood facing one another.

"See you tomorrow, Chan."

"Yeah, see you!"

With that they parted ways, promising to meet under their tree by the river from now on.