Chapter 27- Butterflies

"L/N...? Hey, where are you..." Y/N had gotten up and walked towards the hallway. Kunikida glanced back at the child with concern in his eyes before running after the woman. "L/N, where are you going?" He questioned after meeting her in the hallway.

"I can't do this Kunikida," Y/N spoke lightly, holding onto her elbows.

"Can't do what?" He glanced back to the little girl, who was waiting patiently on the couch.

"I just..." Y/N looked over to the girl for a split second. They had made eye contact. The woman shook her head and moved her glance back to the blonde. "Now..every time I look at her I see.." She stopped.

"You see what, L/N? Look, I think we need to help her. She's still a child."

"You can help her. I'm going to sit out for this one.." She began to open the door to the bedroom. That is until Kunikida grabbed a hold of her wrist.

"Can you at least tell me why?"

"Because—!" Y/N snapped. "Every time I see that girl's face now I'm reminded of myself! I know all the bullshit she's had to go through! And.." She bit her bottom lip. "I can't go back to that." Y/N tugged her wrist out of Kunikida's grasp. "I'm going to call Dazai asking for the address to my place, then I'll get out of your hair." She

Kunikida was left with nothing but a closed-door after that statement. He sighed as he rubbed his temples and went back to the living room.

"Do you hate her?" The girl's voice came into his ears. He rose an eyebrow and looked at the girl.

"No..of course not. I just..want to understand her more that's all." He knelt down right next to her. "Just like I do with you. Miss..." He paused. "I believe I would like to know your name if that's possible..?"

She was silent. The girl grabbed onto her other hand as she looked down at her lap. "Aki-738.."She whispered.

"Aki..738..?" The girl nodded. Kunikida glanced to the floor as he thought on. "Well...I'm going to call you Aki, is that okay?" She shook her head. "Why not?"

"Aki-738 is the name given to me by him. I will not allow myself to bend or modify it." She said sternly.

"Hm..well how about I call you by a completely different name? Then, you can still keep Aki-738, but the one I call you will just be for fun? Like a nickname!" The girl looked up at Kunikida with curious eyes.

"A nickname..?" She clenched her fist.

"Yeah. Let me think.." Kunikida placed his finger on his chin. "Akimi-san." The girl blinked a little surprised. She didn't say anything and glanced away. "The person that gave you the name Aki-738, did he send you here?" Nothing came out of her mouth. She remained silent and kept her view to the wall. They stood in uncomfortable silence until the blonde spoke once more. "Do you like butterflies?" He observed the designs in her pajamas. This comment brought Akimi's attention.

~♚♚♚~

"Ahuh, yep..got it." Y/N put down the pencil that wrote down the address of her new place. "Thank you Yosano-sensei, Dazai-san really wasn't helpful."

"I can only imagine." Yosano chuckled from the other line. "By the way, let Kunikida-san know he's going to be late to work if he doesn't leave soon." Y/N blinked as she looked back at the clock. 6:45. No way, it had already been an hour? She gulped realizing she'd have to come out there and talk to him once more. "Right, will do."

"See you L/N-san."

"See you." Y/N licked her dry lips as she ended the call. She stretched her arms out on the chair and stood up. After taking the piece of paper, she opened the door quietly and walked out.