Chapter 39: New Year

---

(Azazel's POV)

It was New Year's Eve, so this party is gonna be lit. I was at the store, getting everything that I need for the party. The Squid Sisters were also here with me as well.

Azazel: I just hope that we have enough for what we need for this party...

I sighed.

Azazel: (At least Pearl was nice to lend me enough yen to buy everything we need for the party. That necklace I bought for Marie really strained my wallet, but at least I made her happy, and that's all that matters.)

I was approached by Marie.

Marie: You look a little uneasy... is there something wrong?

I turn to face her and I gave her a smile, well at the same time rubbing the back of my neck.

Azazel: Sorry... I was just overthinking myself.

Marie: Don't overthink too much. You don't want to stress yourself out, now would you?

I gave her a nervous laugh.

Azazel: Guess you're right on that one.

While we were talking on the aisle, Callie came up and hugged me from behind.

Callie: What're you guys talking about?

Azazel: Uh... Marie mentioned how I was looking a little uneasy, and I told her that I'm just overthinking.

Callie: Now that you mention it, you have been a little uneasy recently. Was it something we said?

Azazel: It's not something you guys said, but rather what I'm afraid of most.

Marie: (What could possibly be scaring him this much?)

Callie: (I've never seen him this afraid... I'm worried for him.)

Azazel: Can we talk in the car after we get the stuff for the party?

Callie and Marie nodded.

So after we bought everything that we need, we loaded them up into my car, got in and we're driving back to my house.

Callie: So tell us... why are you feeling uneasy?

Azazel: You know how my mother explained that I'm a Darkling prince?

Marie: Yeah?

Azazel: And that the Mafia is after me on behalf of Octavio?

Callie: What about it?

In all of my years, I've never felt this terrified.

Azazel: I'm afraid of them squidnapping you girls... and everyone I care for.

They now understand why I've been feeling so uneasy. I'm worried that they'll take my family away from me.

Marie: We aren't going anywhere, Azazel. I know you'll come and save us.

And with that very saying, I've understood the importance of what it means to fight for; to protect my home, my family. To preserve peace, and give people hope.

Azazel: Thank you all, for being the family I need most in my darkest times.

I feel like I could take on the whole world.

Azazel: I'm all fired up now.

Callie and Marie giggled

Callie: (He's pretty cute when he's determined.)

Marie: (It's what makes him who he is.)

---

(Marina's POV)