84.

Lucien

"Here's to a bright New Year and a farewell to the old. Here's to new adventures that will join us and memories that are yet to come," I look around to everyone gathered around me as I make my New Year's speech. My eyes land on my gorgeous fiancé that stood at the back with her parents in an all red party dress and with a smile, I raise my glass.

"Most importantly, here's to another year with my beautiful fiancé Amara. You're the most wonderful and most important person in my life. I truly love you, my princess and I just cannot wait to see the future what the future holds for us and our unborn prince or princess and, of course, I cannot wait to spend the rest of my life with you." As I end my speech, I raise my glass over my head and everyone follows suit, grinning amongst each other.

"To family!" I shout.

"To family!!"

It's never a surprise as to how big my father can host his traditional New Year's Eve party. I just wish I wouldn't have to ruin it tonight, for him, for my family.

I look around at the party where everyone was now scattered, either to dance or to fetch themselves drinks and chatted, knowing that I will have to leave to end this thing with Brad soon. I dart my eyes to all corners of the room and outside the windows just too scope out any unusual activity. Even though my bodyguards were back with us, I still felt uneasy.

"Honey, are you okay?" I look over my shoulder to see Amara walking towards me, her eyes filled with worry and concern. I quickly loosen my tenseness to show her that I was okay.

I grab both her hands and hold her close to me, never wanting to let her go. "Of course I am princess. Are you both okay?"

"Yes, we are. I'm just worried about how you've been acting all night," she responds whilst rubbing my yet again tense shoulders.

I shake my head. "I just want everything to go smoothly tonight, chaos free."

Her eyebrows scrunch together, not understanding what I was implying. I gulp, making a suggestion to my worried fiancé that she should go and take a rest for a few minutes since she has been complaining that she has been getting back pains all afternoon.

"I feel like my hormones are imbalanced as well. I don't know, pregnancy is all new to me. I'm praying nothing bad will happen," she lifts her head and connects her eyes with mine.

I reassure her with a light kiss on her lips and pulls her in for a hug, making sure that I don't squeeze her too tight.

"You are my wonder woman-"

"I thought I was your princess?" she cuts me off.

"My princess wonder woman?" I say sheepishly. "As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted. Somehow, through the pain you're going through in carrying a growing human inside you, you continue to be a powerful form and I find that really sexy. Suddenly it seems as though this is how it was supposed to be."

"Even though you denied it at first?"

"Even though I denied it at first yes."

She doesn't say anything.

"I just don't want our baby to be brought into this.. this violence we're surrounded by. Brad, Clarissa, Adelyn-"

"Wait, how do you know about...." I trail off as she cocks her head to the side.

"I apologise for not telling you and that you had to find out through eavesdropping. But it's just a hunch. I don't see how she's connected to Brad or Clarissa."

"Well next time I'd like for you to speak up okay? Be honest with me. Don't you think I won't fight with you?"

"That's the thing. I'm scared that you're willing to fight with me because I'd kill myself if you were in danger."