68.

Amara

"Holy cow! Did you say yes?!" Sylvia screeched into my ear on the other side of the three way Skype videocall.

It was 3pm in the afternoon the next day so I decided to call my best friends Sylvia and Cotton and fill them in on Lucien's proposal. I seated myself in the living room alone since I sent everyone home for the weekend. Sure Lucien will be pissed but they're human beings with families and I'm 100% certain their families are elated to have them home for the weekend.

That and I wanted some alone with my boyfriend without having bodyguards standing in every room and Mrs. Haynes cleaning everywhere.

"I didn't exactly utter the word 'yes' but it was somewhere along those lines," I state nervously, a sign of concern flashes across my features and they easily noticed. "But I'm very excited. I can't wait for us to tell our parents," I say to cover it up.

"Oh I'm so sorry all of this is happening to you and Lucien Mars!" Cotton declares with a sad face. "God I wish Brad was locked up somewhere and this Clarissa lady would just vanish and leave you guys alone."

We all sigh together.

"Are you telling both your parents together?" Syl suddenly asks and I nod. "I think that's the best way to do it," I add.

"Well I am ecstatic for you two. I wanna be like you guys when I grow up," Cotton awes making Syl join in.

I scrunch my nose and twist my face. "Trust me, you don't. Sure the romance region of it is something to want but everything else... get another inspiration Cee. "

This makes him break out in a fit of laughter. "When I said that I meant as in the bond you guys have, that you'd do anything for each other. The transparency, the commitment. You balance each other out and many relationships lack these qualities."

I guess I didn't really see that coming, but I'm not surprised because I always weigh a situation and see the negatives more than the positives.

"Thank you Cee, it makes my afternoon to hear that. I'm very grateful for both of you," I smile sweetly.

"So girlie, what do you think we should do for Lucien's birthday?" Syl suddenly asks.

My eyes shot up. "His birthday? When is his birthday?" Lucien never talked about his birthday before.

She laughs nervously and bites her lip. "Tomorrow. He didn't tell you?"

"What?!" I screeched and they covered their ears at my loud outburst. "Why is he acting like it's not important?"

"Well," she goes on to explain, "his dad and step mother hosts a ballroom jamboree for him without exception. Just friends and family. Drinks, music, the usual."

"So why didn't they just throw a regular party?"

"When it comes to the Kings, there is no regular." She's not wrong there.

"We all know how Lucien gets when he's around people," I started to say but got cut off.

"Yeah, possessive over you," Cotton teases with a smirk. I blush at the comment.

"Not everything is about me guys."

"To him, yeah it is. The guy barely looks at another woman when you're around and even if you aren't I'm sure he doesn't give women the time of day," Syl declares.

"I agree," Cotton says. I roll my eyes. "You'd agree to anything Syl says."

"Hey hey," he tries to argue but had nothing else to say.

"Anyways, he always dreads the parties they have for him so I was thinking that we should have a backup plan? Something more smaller, Mara?" Syl suggests and I fully agreed with her suggestion.

I pull my feet up onto the soft material of the couch and readjust the laptop on my lap. An idea suddenly came to my mind.

"Well, I did purchase a charity vacation at the Sonoma Coast Villa, remember at the ball Syl? Today is Friday, so how about I chat with Lucien's father and have him book us for this weekend? That way Lucien could be more comfortable, treat him to a spa day, outdoor activities surrounded by the ones who love and care for him. What do you guys think?" I bite my bottom lip nervously.

Sylvia squeals and claps in excitement while Cotton gives me a thumbs up. I smile at my bestfriends' support.

"Sounds good, he'll be thrilled," Cotton says.

"He's lucky to have you Mara," Syl comments.

"Thanks guys, I just want him to be happy, even though I still can't fathom the reason why he didn't make mention of such a special celebration."

"Same here, but it's Lucien. I mean, he never really used to be happy to celebrate his birthday in the past since I've known him. Don't overthink it okay babe? I'm sure he has his reasons," Syl reassures with a lopsided smile.

I shrug and dropped my shoulders. "I guess."

"I'm confident it has nothing to do with you but just something personal," Cotton gives his two cents.

"Let's hope you guys are right."

***

If you're liking this story, don't forget to vote and leave a nice review! xoxo