48.

Amara

"I would've been if you answered my calls or texted me to let me know what was happening with your mom and you," I say sternly, crossing my arms over my abdomen.

He eyes me longingly, wetting his bottom lip with his tongue. I really wanted to break away from his stare but I wanted to feel bold and confident before him.

"I know that you don't want to hear the words 'I'm sorry' but-"

"Glad you have that understanding," I cut him off.

"I do, trust me," he continues on, "I know I should've kept in contact, I know I messed up and I'm owning up to my mistakes Amara. I came back for you."

His eyes pleaded for me to say something, yet no words could be formed.

I couldn't. It seemed impossible. I found it hard to believe that he was really here, he felt like a fairytale yet... he looked so real... so perfect. I wanted to acknowledge and accept that he really was here for me, but I didn't want to fall to his feet again.

I was afraid to waste my breath, my time, my words, my tears.

"Your reason to be here shouldn't be because of me Lucien. You're a college graduate. That should be your reason," my words seethed through my teeth with so much pain.

He sighs at my harshness grunt lowly. "Can we just... talk somewhere privately?"

I shake my head frantically. "I'm not very good at this. I've never had to... I've never wanted to try again. This is all new to me. As much as I want to have hope that there is a crack in my heart for you to squeeze in... Lucien, I don't... it's not a good idea." I stumble upon my words and try backing away from the situation.

He moved closer towards me and grabbed ahold of my hands, pressing the topic further.

"Let's talk. Okay? Just talking, please. Have dinner with me," he begs, squeezing my left hand softly as he awaited my answer.

"You think talking would make me forgive you just like that? Please get real," I scoff and lightly push him away from me, not wanting to make it a big deal infront of everyone.

"Jesus, Amara I'm not asking you for a kidney. I'm just asking for you and I to talk as adults. I don't expect you to forgive me so easily but I'm hoping that you could just... give me the opportunity to apply for a way back to you. Please," he begs, looking straight into my eyes.

I close my eyes and sigh. "Okay, fine. I will have dinner with you. Only because I'm hungry." I say as final and he nods, a bright smile appearing. When my family approached, I step away to give them access to greet Lucien.

"Hera, Luke, Cotton," Lucien greets a little uneasy as the look on Luke's face was a bit frightening, but he soon relaxed as they embraced each other.

"Hello son," he greets him back and Lucien goes over to kiss mother on her cheek, rubbing her shoulders.

"Why do I feel like you all knew he was coming back?" I shuffle my hands around to ignite the "supposed to have" tension between us and Lucien.

"And you're right, but we wanted to leave it as a surprise so we didn't mention it," my confesses, looking over to Luke, who nods.

"Well you guys never fail to surprise me," I say under my breath.

Mom turns her attention to Lucien. "Well if she ain't happy you're back then I am Mr. King. Firstly, I just wanted to congratulate you on graduating and all the best to you and your bright future. You're a hardworking young man and I know you'll achieve greatness. Secondly, I just wanted to make mention of how proud I am of you, for being there for your mother. How is Lavyrle by the way?" As much as I'm quite upset that they knew Lucien was coming back and I was left in the dust, I was grateful for the bond Lucien shared with my parents, especially my mom. I was also relieved to know that my allegations against her keeping in contact with Lucien sort of came to light.

"Thank you Hera. My mom, she's alive, blessed, she's healthy and active. She wants to meet you all," he says to her, but looks my way. I'm taken aback. I just smile to conceal how frustrated I felt in that moment.

"Great! We can't wait to meet her as well. You should bring her down to our house someday and we'll have some family time," my mom says over-excitedly and I scrunch my nose at her actions.

"Mom, baby steps okay?" I flick my eyes to her but she flicks me off.

"Hey, just because you and Lucien's relationship is on the rocks right now doesn't mean his and your family's should be too." I go to defend myself but decided against it, giving her the win.

She smiles in triumph. "Great! Now what's this about a dinner I hear you two are going to?"

***

If you're liking this story, don't forget to vote and leave a nice review! xoxo