𝟐𝟕. Navy Blue

𝙱𝚞𝚝 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚜 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚊𝚝 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚢 

𝙵𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚜 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚊𝚝 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚢

22nd November – US Championship, Day 1

"Beth Harmon checkmates with the Queen in d6 and Tower in a8, trapping James' King. What a beautiful game." The caster words started to spread in the room, a wave of applauses was triggered.

"Good game." Beth sticked out her hand, looking at the opponent. James nodded, reaching her hand. Beth made her way to the hall, trying her best to ignore the white lights appointed at her face.

Reaching the main entrance, her eyes were directed to the placard who traveled in attempt to find the person whose she was interested in.

"God, Lincoln is a pain in the ass." Benny grumbled, running his fingers over the back of the neck. Beth turned her body towards him. "How was your game?" He approached her, looking at the scoreboard.

"I won. I checkmated him after 29 moves." She whispered, crossing her arms while analyzing the board. "Something is wrong." Her feet started to tap rhythmically on the marble floor.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know. It's just my intuition." She shrugged her shoulders.

"I think you're hungry. Wanna grab something?" Benny deflected the subject, without receiving an answer. "Beth." He called her while holding her chin with his fingers, giving him the vision of her cheeks getting red. "Let's eat." He gave a subtle smile as she agreed with her head. "Are you better? I didn't want to disturb you."

"Oh yes, thank you. The milk was amazing." She smiled, starting to walk on his side.

"I know. I've been ordering one every night."

"Old man. Should I present you with a cane next year?" Beth joked, making Benny unleash a nasal laugh.

"Keep joking about that, maybe one day you'll regret." He stated defiant. "Actually I don't remember seeing you complaining in Kent-"

"Benny!" Beth interrupted his phrase, smacking his arm. "Watch your tongue." Her face was completely red, and Benny couldn't hold his laugh.

"I'm sorry, you should see your reaction." He shook his head with a big smile planted on his face. Beth rolled her eyes as a smile blossomed in her lips. "Beth?" He stopped the trail, grabbing her wrist.

"Yes?" Her body froze, remaining in front of him.

The hall was completely empty. The people were probably in the restaurant enjoying their meals while these two persons were looking at each other, in silence.

"I missed you. I'm sorry for not calling you while I was in New York. You're not a burden at all, you are the best chess player I ever met and also one of the best persons I could have in my life." He analyzed her expression before proceeding with his speech. "I really missed you. Like a lot."

Her mouth opened slightly with his confession. Once again, he was able to surprise her every time they spoke. What went though his head to say those things, suddenly? Beth was confused and happy for hearing it. She didn't pronounce a word for a few minutes, but the feeling was mutual, and Benny was sure about it after seeing Beth closing the distance between them, sealing with a clumsy kiss. Benny widened his eyes before closing them, involving her face with his long hands.

"I missed you too, Benny." She broke the kiss, whispering close to his lips. "We shouldn't kiss."

"Why not?" He opened his eyes, staring at her hazel eyes.

"Because you're confused about your feelings and I don't want to make things harder for you."

"You started the kiss." Benny stated, driving his hands to her waist, wrapping her in his arms.

"Yes I kno-"

"And it's impossible."

"What's impossible?" She stared at him, confused.

"When it comes to you, nothing it's simple Beth. It never was."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"I don't think so. I like when you make me feel confused unless when it comes about your indecision between pasta and rice." Beth laughed, directing her hazel eyes to the floor. "Oh and one more thing."

She compressed her lips and lowered lightly her head trying to hide her flushed cheeks. "What?" Beth whispered.

"You don't have to feel bad about the kiss. I was going to kiss you anyways."

Beth eyes collided with his brown eyes, seeing a grin forming on his face.

"Oh and just one more thing before we go eat." He squeezed her waist, pressing her body into his, making her laugh.

"What?"

"You look..." He gazed at her, inhaling her fragrance. "I'm sorry for what I'm going to say but" Beth looked at him anxious, starting to feel worried about the possible direction to their conversation. "You look hot with that dress. I searched the name of that color and I discovered that my favorite color is navy blue when you wear it. You should use it more times."

Benny released her, starting to walk again. Beth was shocked, bewildered with his words. Naturally, she was conscious about his alluring side but the butterflies in her stomach made her feel younger than she was. For seconds, the possibility of this moment being a dream seemed more realistic than anything else.

He was the person shewas looking for. He was her favorite color and her favorite smell and season.He was the right person that could make her soul feel young and beautiful. She knew if she had him, she would be the big winner.

☁☁☁

Hey guys! How are you? :) I'm here to wish you a good 2021! Last year was tough for all of us and hopefully, 2021 will bring us some piece and hapiness. I want to say thank you to my readers, seeing you interacting with my story makes me really happy! I feel bad for not being able to post everyday and I'm sorry about that. I'm having some health issues and sometimes my focus isn't the best at all.

Anyways, thank u so much for reading my story! I love you guys so much.