𝟑𝟒. The answer

𝚁𝚞𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚋𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚊𝚛𝚔

𝙸 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚐𝚘 𝚝𝚘 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚛𝚎

1st December > 2 days left

Beth glanced at her dress for the thousandth time. Her face carried an apprehensive expression while holding the hot cup of tea. Today she was flying to California, to Sophie's wedding. In two days, one of her closest friends were getting married making Beth feel emotional. Seeing someone happy didn't bother her anymore like before. Even without knowing what to expect from the future, she got lucky for experiencing true happiness next to someone.

These past few days, weren't easy. The first three days, she felt like the world could end in any second right in front of her, without leaving space for any hopes and future projects. After that, the nightmares started to conquer her dreams and during the day, she couldn't stop overthinking about her double loss: she claimed herself as a loser not only in chess, but in life. The feeling of ridiculousness caused by her actions and speech got her more frustrated than anything else. Beth felt weak for losing control of her life in this mediocre way; She had no idea that love could be the ruin of her life.

"Beth, go to sleep." Sophie interrupted her thoughts through the phone. "It's already late and tomorrow I don't wanna see you grumpy."

"You're probably right." Beth sighed, whispering.

"And don't worry, everything will alright."

"Goodnight Sophie." Beth yawned, smiling.

2 nd December – CALIFORNIA > 1 day left

"I can't believe you're actually here!" Sophie screamed, hugging tightly Beth, making her laugh. "Oh god, you have no idea how happy I am!"

"Our ears are aware." Patrick joked, making Beth laugh. "I'm Patrick." He reached out his hand.

"Nice to meet you." Beth nodded with her hand, shaking his hand. "Sophie talked a lot about you."

"Good things, I hope."

"Actually, I told her my plans about to murder you if you didn't advance with our relationship." Sophie gave a fake smile, making Beth laugh.

"Oh god, my woman is such a warrior." Patrick smiled, stroking her cheek.

"I know baby but today, I will be busy with my lover, so I suggest you meet with your friends." Sophie grabbed Beth's hand. "According to your family, we shouldn't see each other util the ceremony."

"Really?" Beth asked, surprised. "I never heard of it."

"Yes, it's a thing that some people still abide."

"Then I should go. I'm already late to meet with my friends." Patrick smiled. "It was nice to talk with you Beth. Maybe, after the wedding we could discuss some strategies."

"Sure." Beth affirmed with her head, giving a small smile.

"Great! I'll see you tomorrow, love." Patrick snuggled up Sophie's face in his hands, kissing her lips softly. "I love you."

"Go before I regret of letting you go." Sophie whispered, grinning.

After watching Patrick leaving the house, Beth hugged her. She was delightful for seeing her friend happy and in love for someone that in Harmon's eyes seemed a really good person.